PDA

View Full Version : How often do you guys polish?

Pages : [1] 2

Proballer25
08-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Sup guys i had a simple question for you all. How often do you guys find your self polishing your vehicle`s? Seems like every 3 months or so the swirls are coming back on my paint and im having to repolish to get it back to new again. Im kinda worried cause at this rate and its an 06 in about 3 years ill have no clear left on the paint HAHA.

BigAl3
08-11-2007, 12:54 AM
if you refine your washing & drying technique, you won`t have to use something real abrasive often. i usually do it 2-3 times a year with a light polish, and that should be fine with the clear for many years...

usdm
08-11-2007, 01:04 AM
LOL, I know what you mean. It feels like that for me as well. But at some point,

I decided that my car was too much of a daily driver, and things are just gonna

happen. Even with proper washing and drying techniques, I know I will get

some form of marring. And if it was not by my hand, I knew that some jackhole

would mess around too close to my car and scratch it up. It just became a matter of

what i could live with. So now I pretty much do one main polish for the year, and

then follow up with light polishes or glaze. If I am seeing a potential client, then

I try to get the car up to snuff, but otherwise, i stopped sweating the lil stuff. Besides,

my car on its worst days still looks way better than a lot of the cars I see on the

street where I live and work :grinno:

SVR
08-11-2007, 07:01 AM
once a year on my garage king and same goes for daily driver

pt91
08-11-2007, 11:11 AM
once every 12 to 18 months on our daily drivers

Accumulator
08-11-2007, 12:07 PM
once every 12 to 18 months on our daily drivers

About the same here, but less often on the ones that don`t get driven as often..more like every 2-3 years or so. But if I detect any marring (usually RIDS) I correct it and I`m mighty rigorous about inspecting them ;)

This gets back to the importance of a good wash/dry technique. Vehicles don`t *have* to get marred in normal use, even daily-drivers. If you simply never touch the paint when it`s dirty except to wash it, and you wash it properly, the paint won`t get marred enough to require polishing. Well, unless you have what`s been called "stupid-soft" paint, and I wouldn`t own a car with that.

Bigpoppa3346
08-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, unless you have what`s been called "stupid-soft" paint, and I wouldn`t own a car with that.

My mother has one of those cars (Black BMW X3) and it needs polishing at least 3 times a year, and that is with just me washing it, 2 bucket method, sheepskins, blot dry, etc. Thank God she only leased it, the paint is just terrible.

On most cars I get by with a deep spring polish (usually no more agressive than say, OP or FPII via PC.) Then I will use KAIO in the summer and fall to deep clean the paint and apply new LSP.

Accumulator
08-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Bigpoppa3346- Heh heh, yeah, that BMW black is exactly what I was thinking of ;) Hope she gets something lower maintenance next time so you can destress for a few years.

Bigpoppa3346
08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Bigpoppa3346- Heh heh, yeah, that BMW black is exactly what I was thinking of ;) Hope she gets something lower maintenance next time so you can destress for a few years.

Yeah, she loves the car, but she says she will get silver or gray next time. I`ll never forget the first day she brought it home from the dealer, I looked at it under the lights and :help:.

It`s wierd though, it seems that only the new black BMWs are the really soft ones, the rest of them seem pretty hard.

I try to keep polishing to a minimum on any car, I just don`t want to take chances with the clear.

ipaqman2005
08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
is it bad to polish and remove swirls often?

Adam's Polishes
08-11-2007, 07:52 PM
I`m averaging about every 5-6 months a complete tear down & build up... refining my wash routine has made the biggest difference IMO.

Bigpoppa3346
08-11-2007, 07:58 PM
is it bad to polish and remove swirls often?

Every time you polish, you remove some of the vehicle`s paint. While this amount may be small, it does add up over time.

jasonmac
08-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Same as most said already, once every 10-12 months or so, and usually a finishing polish at that; occasionally I`ll have to use my IP, but it`s rare and only for defect removal, not the entire car.

imported_MCA
08-12-2007, 10:58 AM
I`m actually an 18-month to 24-month guy which ain`t easy for a black car owner. I plan on keeping this car till it practically dies (daily driver). A refined, careful washing technique definitely helps keep me sane. TX (Dallas) weather is very hot but overall it`s not too bad of an LSP killer so i generally use a glaze/carnauba wax combination - greatly helps cover minor swirls.

David Fermani
08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Every time you polish, you remove some of the vehicle`s paint. While this amount may be small, it does add up over time.

This is totally dependent on what you use to polish and how you do it. Some light corrective polishes (used properly) are about as harmless as a hand wash.