PDA

View Full Version : Fixing sratches - advice for a newby?

Domas
08-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi All,

This is my firs post and I`m a newby to detailing.

First of all, I live in Lithuania (Europe) and it would be impossible for me to get product you guys use in US.

I know "Turtle Wax", "Sonax", "Formula1" products are crappy to you, but it would be easiest for me to get products from their lines. Well, I also could get "3M" products.

The thing is I have some scratches. Some of them are only clearcoat off, and some are with clearcoat and paint off where primer is visible. I have bought original (Volvo) touch up paint and clearcoat. I have applied paint, let it dry, applied clearcoat, let it dry - now what? Fixed scrathes look ugly, raised surface, what should I do to fix it? Sanding or something? I would be grateful if someone could write the steps to fix the raised scratch and general type of products that need to be used. Thanks in advance ;)

P.S. if it involves usage of electrical polisher, I have a crappy one (bought for around $50, random orbital), but I managed to polish my paint from carwash-scratched to nearly mirror shine.

imported_themightytimmah
08-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Try 3M 2000 grit sandpaper, and then 3M rubbing compound by hand and then 3M Machine Glaze by random orbital.

Domas
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for your reply ;)

Well, I might not be able to get those exact products, what if I get any general sandpaper of 2000 grit? (Btw, wet or dry sanding is better?) Getting 3M compound should be no problem, but 3M Glaze might be a problem... What if I use let`s say turtle wax polish with PTFE?

And just want to ask professional`s oppinion - let`s say I use some general 2000 sandpaper, "Turtle Wax" compund, and "Sonax" polish - is there a chance to damage my paint because of using different brands?

Of course I could order everything (Sonus, Pinnacle, etc., and PC) via eBay, but it seems to much of effort for fixing some scratches...