PDA

View Full Version : Still confused about sealers

imported_RedlineIRL
08-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I`ve read on here that sealers are good for locking in the depth and wetness after cleaning the paint and polishing, along with protecting the finish formonths at a time. So I ordered a bottle of the Poorboy`s EX carnuba sealant. I`m new to sealants, I have never used them before so of course I`ve got questions.I have also found a few topics here that mention that sealers basically seal off the pores of the paint. Is this actually harmful for the paint and could cause damage to it, especially on cars that are new or even a couple years old? Should I reconsider using a sealer for now and just go the polish and wax route, or is there nothing to worry about?

imported_DetailDan
08-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Nothing to worry about.

Eliot Ness
08-09-2007, 07:54 PM
There is nothing to worry about. The only time you have to worry is if it is a repaint from a body shop, then you need to wait about 90 - 120 days for the paint to fully cure before you apply a wax or sealer. A new car from the factory does not have that concern because the paint is fully cured (baked) before you get your hands on it.

Enjoy the EX, it is very easy to use and has a nice look. I`d apply a second layer about 12 -24 hours after the first, or after the next wash....... whichever is more convenient for you.

imported_RedlineIRL
08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the help.

Eliot Ness, thanks for the two layer tip. Does the EX provide more of the deep/wet look the more it is layered on?

Eliot Ness
08-09-2007, 08:55 PM
......Eliot Ness, thanks for the two layer tip. Does the EX provide more of the deep/wet look the more it is layered on?I think it helps a bit..... it kind of depends on the color too. It is very easy to work with so a second layer is pretty easy to do the next day after the first layer has cured. EX has some carnauba that helps add depth to a darker color.