PDA

View Full Version : Do rim cleaners compromise rim sealants?

danforz
08-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey guys, I was thinking I`d seal my rims today but then I realized that I use Mothers FX Tire Cleaner and other such products to clean my rims. Will these dissolve away the sealant?

awahl63
08-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes they will.

Eliot Ness
08-09-2007, 06:24 PM
If you have them sealed well, and keep up with them you shouldn`t need anything stronger than what you wash the car with.

NavindraLR
08-09-2007, 06:27 PM
If you have them sealed well, and keep up with them you shouldn`t need anything stronger than what you wash the car with.

exactly what i was going to say

danforz
08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
exactly what i was going to say

In that case, can someone a bit lazier then the previous two posters chime in? :grinno: I hate cleaning rims, and from my previous experience a rim cleaner has done more for cleaning then a sealant though the sealant does wonders for looks. I`m trying to get the best of both worlds.

Bigpoppa3346
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
It`s not that hard, just get some brushes, some car wash soap, and clean them. Well sealed rims are very easy to clean.

imported_DetailDan
08-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Yep, what everyone else said. Just use a separate brush and mitt for the wheels with some car soap. Then reapply your sealant once a month or so.

Evenflow
08-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Ive always had better luck with foaming my rims, and using the wheel schmitt rather than using chemicals on my chrome rims.

wannafbody
08-09-2007, 11:19 PM
it depends. Some brake pads dust badly and wheel cleaners will be needed. Ceramic pads produce less dust and soapy water should be enough. Personally I`d just use your favorite durable sealant on wheels instead of buying a special wheel wax.

imported_FMINUS
08-10-2007, 12:42 AM
YES IT WILL REMOVE the sealant!!!

With proper maintainence, soap and water is all you need to clean wheels.

Mark77
08-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Car wash is usually enough to clean wheels with if well maintained. But the tires don`t clean well with car wash. I usually wash the rims+ tires with an APC in the bucket instead of Car wash soap. The Brushes stay clean also, the dirt doesn`t stick to them like it does when I use Car Wash. I seal the rims every now and then and use AW in between. They stay surprisingly slick and shiny this way.