PDA

View Full Version : Is PBA 601 more effective with PC?

Pages : [1] 2

mikebai1990
08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I`m thinking about whether it would be a good idea to apply the 601 with a PC. I`d imagine it would help me get a more thin+even application, but I`m also worried about wasting too much product (I`m using 6.5 in. pads). Also, I don`t know whether it`s necessary. Do you guys think that using a PC to work the 601 into the paint will yield better results?

TortoiseAWD
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
mike,

I don`t believe the end result will be any different; however, in my experience it is much easier to put down a thin layer of just about any product with a PC, and in the end, I generally use less vs. hand application. Assuming you already have the PC and pads, give it a try sometime . . . I think you`ll find the added speed and convenience worth it (especially if you apply your sealant by machine, too). You`ll find that the first panel or two will require more wax/sealant on the pad than you`re used to for hand application, but once the pad is primed, it takes only tiny amounts for subsequent panels.

FWIW, I`ve found the Sonus SFX-3 pads to absorb *very* little sealant/wax. Liquids don`t penetrate into the foam very far, so most of it is given back to the paint instead of being sucked into the pad and wasted. If you really want to be stingy on how much sealant you use, the 4" SFX-3 spot pads are great. The smaller pad wastes very little product, and they`re small enough to get into most spots.

Tort

mikebai1990
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks, tort. I only have my 6.5 Lake Country pads. I`ve applied waxes with my PC before, and I do agree that is is a lot faster and easier. Which pad would you think will waste less product: a white pad (more dense, relatively stiff) or a black pad (very soft)?

violentveedub
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
The stuff is only like 6 bucks a bottle... the bottle will probably last longer than my car. I don`t see waste as a big concern...

mikebai1990
08-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Does the 601 really last that long? It`s only 8 oz., and I was figuring that I would need around .5 oz. per midsize sedan. Do you find that you need less than that?

violentveedub
08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Does the 601 really last that long? It`s only 8 oz., and I was figuring that I would need around .5 oz. per midsize sedan. Do you find that you need less than that?

I dunno? I`ll hopefully let you know after this weekend! Most things I`ve read says it takes a really little bit to do the car...

You only use it on the first coat, I figure at max I`ll start over 3 times a year so...

.5x3 applications = 1.5

1.5 oz a year / 8 oz. a year = 5 years...

mikebai1990
08-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Haha, nice calculation there :) I`d definitely appreciate if you could report back after you try it out this weekend. I have a car that I`ll be doing a full polish on, so I probably won`t be using the 601 (it`s also not my car, and I`m doing it for fun, so I`m not using too many good products). However, I`ll be using it on our cars soon.

TortoiseAWD
08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks, tort. I only have my 6.5 Lake Country pads. I`ve applied waxes with my PC before, and I do agree that is is a lot faster and easier. Which pad would you think will waste less product: a white pad (more dense, relatively stiff) or a black pad (very soft)?I don`t think there`ll be a huge difference between the pads in terms of product used. I`d stick with picking pad type based on purpose here . . . the 601 is a light pre-cleaner and bonding agent, so I`d use a polishing pad, and stick with a finishing pad for the sealant.

Tort

frostydog
08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
601 still seems to be one of those mystery products. Most recently I`ve read posts of folks using it with polishes and all types of stuff.

I`ve applied it many times by hand, but never with PC...so def let us know how it goes.

I don`t know if it will yield better results via PC, just doesn`t seem like a product that would to me. But if you feel you can do it quicker with a PC, I`m interested to know too.

It`s one of those products that you can`t see applied to your paint, you may on some spots where it was applied a little too heavy. But that never presented any problems once I used 105...it just all came right off with no effort, no smearing, no nothing...

What are you topping it with??? 601 and 105 will last a looong time. I don`t even know how long really, I`ve made it a solid 5 months through a NE winter (with very little washing) and it was still beading strong. Spring came and I did a complete polish and detail...and never really got to see how long it would`ve lasted.

mikebai1990
08-09-2007, 03:28 PM
frostydog, I`m positive that using a PC will help with reducing the time needed to complete one coat. I`m just worried about product consumption, which I don`t think will be a problem.

I`ll probably be doing 2x 105 topped with Aquawax. For the winter, I`m considering slapping on some Collinite as well.

frostydog
08-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I think you`ll really like that combo, slick as slick can be, and of course all the other great properties you hear about 105 and AW.

I have to suggest FC&S. It just adds that addition pop/shine factor. Also great after the weekly washes...brings that ridiculous slickness back after a wash.

AL-53
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I have done 601 both ways...hand and PC...and I found that by hand was much better..you use way less product...the only way it went well with a PC was with a 4 inch pad..and I still used a little more than by hand...

Just my take on it..I used it enough....I use less than a ounce on my truck doing by hand....and took 15 minutes to do...on a PC it just seemed to get sucked up in the pad....

Let me know how you made out with the PC if you go that way...

AL

wannafbody
08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
the PC might help it clean the paint better better

violentveedub
08-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Microfiber applicator by hand seemed to work well for me...

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/89/test%20009_thumb.jpg

Mind you the car had just been clayed and this was all the junk that the PBA pulled off the car. It seems to be even more effective than VM with cleaning trim and removing oxidization...

mikebai1990
08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Hm... Did you clay properly ;)