PDA

View Full Version : A decent detailing apron?

mtwedt
06-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Does anybody use an apron when detailing to hold products, towels, etc...? I pay attention to what I wear when detailing....cotton with no buttons, buckles etc... and am always stuffing things in pockets, waistbands and the like. I get rather fed up with dropping a towel on the ground and having to get another. The aprons I have seen, Meg`s and one or two others, are made of canvas, which, while very sturdy and can support some weight, is a fabric I would not like to rub against a paint finish....unavoidable when doing some hoods and tops. Anyone seen anything better? I have been thinking of making one for myself out of cotton chenille...couldn`t find microfiber in yardage, but 100% cotton chenille is readily available for 10-15 bucks a yard. It`s the fabric you see in bathrobes and I think it would not damage a finish if prewashed without fabric softners. I was thinking of making it with large pockets below the waist level for stuffing towels in and out of quickly and smaller ones above the waistband to hold the 2-4 oz bottles and fine spray misters that I transfer my products to....that way the hard plastic bottles would be less likely to hit the finish. I would make wide shoulder straps to make the weight distribution more comfortable and probably add a Velcro strap at the top of each shoulder to hold the power cord of the PC or rotary away from the car. The apron could be lined with a heavy weight cotton so that it could hold up without drooping and the seams would be encased in satin seam binding. A waterproof cellphone holder could be threaded through the back tie for the mobile pros who need it. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Poorboy
06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
sorry i can`t see myself wearing an apron:lmfao ....a good alternative would be a nice rolling cart available at most office supply stores, which could hold all you want and be easy to move around, one with locking wheels too so it doesn`t roll away or into your car.:dunno

CharlesW
06-12-2005, 03:34 PM
The convenience of an apron is handy when I`m using a PC to apply product. Having a place to put the bottle between applications to the pad is pretty handy. It`s also nice to have a place to keep a MF towel when using a product like Klasse AIO where you apply it and wipe it off after a section. It also comes in handy with S&W where I use two MF towels, one for a first cleaning pass, one for the finish drying pass.
As far as what to use, the 99 cent canvas nail aprons at Menard`s work fine for me. Being tall with long arms, I don`t seem to have a problem dragging it on vehicles.

Charles

rhillstr
06-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I use a pair of shorts with big cargo pockets. I can hold my Poorboy`s products in one pocket and MF towels in the other. I just need a holster for my PC now....

joyriide1113
06-12-2005, 09:34 PM
haha! a holster. on u`re hip! lol... i cant imagine any of us with the pc on our hip as if we were law enforcement officers ready to rid a car from swirls