PDA

View Full Version : Steam clean or hot water extractor

Pages : [1] 2

jesselyons2002
08-09-2007, 04:15 AM
I was wonder which one of this cleaning tools is better to get out stains, Clean carpets and seats ???

imported_Jakerooni
08-09-2007, 07:11 AM
I`ve had better luck with extractors. However they tend to be a lot more costly. My extractor cost $1500 on sale. Where you can get a steamer from your local appliance store for under $100 full retail.

Bert
08-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Has anyone every tried using the hand held attachment on a Rug Doctor? Since I plan to rent one for the carpet in my house, I am wondering if I could use the attachment for my car`s carpet?

For any of you who have tried it before, did you use the Rug Doctor cleaner? Or did you spray normal auto carpet cleaner on the carpet and "work it in" with the Rug Doctor attachment?

imported_smprince1
08-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I don`t own a HWE, but I use a spotter with pre-heated water and it is much more effective on deep cleaining nasty carpets than steam. So for carpets only, I think the extractor would be more effective.

However, the steam cleaner is much more versatile and can be used on many more surfaces and materials.

kapinnn
08-09-2007, 09:07 AM
I use the steam, chemicals and brushes for spot cleaning. Then I go over it all with a hot water extractor with a carpet cleaning solution.

Prices: roughly $550 for the TR5 Steam Cleaner and about $650 for the Mytee 8070 extractor.

I`m happy with both for my mobile business. Now, If I could only fit a compressor on the back of the explorer... :D

Accumulator
08-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I use the steam, chemicals and brushes for spot cleaning. Then I go over it all with a hot water extractor with a carpet cleaning solution...

-AND-

..So for carpets only, I think the extractor would be more effective.

However, the steam cleaner is much more versatile and can be used on many more surfaces and materials.

Yep, what they said. The two tools are IMO so different that it`s not an either/or sort of comparison.

Oh, and I found a *world* of difference between consumer-grade steamers/extractors and the pro-level ones. Biggest difference seemed to be between the various steamers, at least with regard to functional ability. Carpet extractors sorta all boil down to being wet/dry vacs...some have potent solution sprayers and some are heated (big plus IMO) but they all do the same basic job. But with steamers, ones that really put out a lot of pressure do jobs that I simply cannot do with lesser units; I`d rather go back to Bissell extractors than give up my Daimer steamer.

jesselyons2002
08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Well I went out and bought a steam clean and hot water extractor (Shark and LGM). I tried the LGM on the carpet and then I tried the Shark on the carpet too. It look to me that the steam got the carpet clean then the LGM. Or was I just doing something wrong with the LGM.

Accumulator
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
jesselyons2002- I`d guess that the steam penetrated deeper into the carpet fibers and emulsified and/or otherwise loosened the dirt better than the LGM`s sprayer. The LGMs that I`ve tried (older vintages, nothing current) didn`t spray the solution very strongly so it didn`t get too far into the carpet.

Also, the steam can "blast" stuff loose. With an extractor, I always use some kind of brush to agitate the carpet (usually brushes on the Cyclo) and that helps loosen dirt.

But what I`d probably try in your case is blasting the carpet with your steamer and following behind that with the LGM, letting the LGM pick up the loosened stuff and also suck the carpet dry. Pretreating the carpet with solution (before steaming) will probably help a lot too.

DantheMan
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
-AND-

Yep, what they said. The two tools are IMO so different that it`s not an either/or sort of comparison.

Oh, and I found a *world* of difference between consumer-grade steamers/extractors and the pro-level ones. Biggest difference seemed to be between the various steamers, at least with regard to functional ability. Carpet extractors sorta all boil down to being wet/dry vacs...some have potent solution sprayers and some are heated (big plus IMO) but they all do the same basic job. But with steamers, ones that really put out a lot of pressure do jobs that I simply cannot do with lesser units; I`d rather go back to Bissell extractors than give up my Daimer steamer.

Are there any consumer grade steamers that you would recommend for the guy who just does his personal cars, along with the occasional friend/family/acquaintance vehicles.. In the average month I do one full detail (paint correction, carpet extraction, underhood, etc), and 4 wash/wax/interior wipedowns..

pt91
08-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I use the steam, chemicals and brushes for spot cleaning. Then I go over it all with a hot water extractor with a carpet cleaning solution.

Prices: roughly $550 for the TR5 Steam Cleaner and about $650 for the Mytee 8070 extractor.

I`m happy with both for my mobile business. Now, If I could only fit a compressor on the back of the explorer... :D

same two machines in my garage. love them both and couldn`t do without either. i think both are very good values. i paid a little less for the tr5 but a little more for the mytee because of the floor wand i added.

Djmigs
08-09-2007, 09:19 PM
if you want the best of both worlds then Xtreme Power (steamer and extractor) (http://www.daimer.com/shop/item/137-productId.125829146_137-catId.117440517.html)

jesselyons2002
08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Are there any consumer grade steamers that you would recommend for the guy who just does his personal cars, along with the occasional friend/family/acquaintance vehicles.. In the average month I do one full detail (paint correction, carpet extraction, underhood, etc), and 4 wash/wax/interior wipedowns..

Yeah I was wondering this tool. Cause my family has 8 cars total.

biolchin12345
08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Hey I have used the rug doctor on my car and it works pretty well with the attachment. The key is to go really slow and make sure you get all the bad crap out cause the attachemet doesnt have much suckin power.

kapinnn
08-10-2007, 07:51 AM
same two machines in my garage. love them both and couldn`t do without either. i think both are very good values. i paid a little less for the tr5 but a little more for the mytee because of the floor wand i added.

you are right... I checked my invoice. I paid $450 shipped.

kapinnn
08-10-2007, 08:12 AM
if you want the best of both worlds then Xtreme Power (steamer and extractor) (http://www.daimer.com/shop/item/137-productId.125829146_137-catId.117440517.html)

How is this a steamer? I know the Desiderio does both...