PDA

View Full Version : Foglight glass road debris and scratch marks

45calmike
08-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I searched the forum and couldn`t find anything specific for headlight/foglight glass. This a foglight for a Volvo S80. These are not acrylic lenses but real glass. As you can see from the picture, it has scratches from road debris and rocks. Is there anyway to reduce, correct, and smooth it out? Or am I crazy and it is just a textured finish?

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x81/takealook_2007/DSC01265.jpg

Macruz19
08-09-2007, 07:34 AM
IMO, since the area of a fog light is so small, it would be somewhat difficult to work any product one the lense. Also, you might get all the polish on the outer part of the lense such as the black trim or paint.

I guess it won`t hurt to give it a try, but I`m sure you`ll have a very limited area to work with on this one. Good Luck.

Setec Astronomy
08-09-2007, 07:54 AM
If there is a concern about damaging the surrounding area, masking would be indicated. But, as with windshields, I don`t think you`re going to have much luck removing any defects. The upside vs. a windshield is that if you induce any optical distortion, it`s less of a deal than if you do that on a windshield. There are special glass polishes (glass is MUCH harder than paint), Auto International has one IIRC, or maybe it`s Eastwood that has the glass polishing kit.

AL-53
08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Get a eastwwod glass polishing kit or google Cerium glass polish..get the kit..it comes with cerium powder and a felt polishing disk that goes on a drill....

you mix the powder with water to make a paste and dap the felt in it....works like a champ....

I got mine at Caswell plating..I think it was around 25.00 for the kit....it took out wiper blade scratches....so it should polish up the lense ....

AL