PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna SIP is NOT Blackfire Compound(?!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

new2mud
08-08-2007, 08:32 PM
OK, so after a lengthy chat with someone from Classic Motoring Accessories/Proper Auto Care, they claim that Blackfire Compound is *far* more abrasive than SIP and were horrified at the thought that the two products were perceived as interchangeable.

So what`s the deal? Weren`t there some on this forum who have used the 2 products interchangeably?

ZoranC
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I don`t recollect people saying SP and BF Compound are even close to identical.

I have SIP, Menzerna PowerGloss and BF Compound and even with my next to zero experience BF Compound was obvious to be much more aggressive than SIP. To me it seemed very similar to PowerGloss. PG has (on Menzerna`s scale) cut of 5 out of 5. SIP has 3, if I remember correctly.

Greg Nichols
08-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I believe that SIP and Blackfire SCR are the same thing, just that SCR has a bit more lubes in it to last longer in the cutting. I have used both and find them VERY similar, in fact I think I like the SCR a bit more.........one for the price.

Cheers,

tod071
08-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I know SRC Polish and 106FF are the same, but don`t really know about SIP and SRC Compound. By looking at the names, one would assume that they are not the same. One is a compound and one is a polish.

NickelPlated.45
08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I believe that SIP and Blackfire SCR are the same thing, just that SCR has a bit more lubes in it to last longer in the cutting. I have used both and find them VERY similar, in fact I think I like the SCR a bit more.........one for the price.

Cheers,

Well i was under the impression that IP and SIP were similar. And i found Blackfire SCR to have noticeably less cut then IP. I see the Blackfire SCR to be more of a finishing polish.

BaseSteala112
08-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I know SRC Polish and 106FF are the same, but don`t really know about SIP and SRC Compound. By looking at the names, one would assume that they are not the same. One is a compound and one is a polish.

This is what I`ve heard as well. Never heard anything about SIP and SRC being the same...

new2mud
08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I don`t recollect people saying SP and BF Compound are even close to identical.

See this thread (p2):

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/92404-sip-feedback-needed-2.html?highlight=SIP+blackfire

new2mud
08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
...and this thread:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/93866-please-clear-menzerna-confusion-2.html?highlight=SIP+blackfire

new2mud
08-08-2007, 10:51 PM
To clarify, there is Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish and Blackfire SRC Compound. I can understand folks saying that SRC Finishing Polish would have less cut than SIP.

But for folks that have used both--hard to understand why ZoranC would say SRC Compound has noticeably more cut than SIP while NickelPlated.45 has found it to have much less cut than IP. (I understand that SIP may have a little more cut to it than IP, but still in the same class, no?)

ZoranC
08-09-2007, 01:08 AM
First, I have a feeling people are mixing up BF SRC FP with BF SRC Compound. First one is similar to 106FF and will remove, according to CMA, 2500 grit swirls. Second one will remove, according to CMA, 1500 grit swirls, and my memory is nagging me that I have seen somewhere mentioned it will remove 1000 grit. If you take a look at Menzerna`s own chart you will see that:

a) they say 106FF will remove 2500 grit swirls (so CMA is in line with that)

b) they say SIP will remove 2000 grit and PG will remove 1000 grit, so BF SRC Compound is at least more abrasive than SIP if not equivalent to PG.

Also, between fingers BF SRC Compound feels grittier than SIP and very close to PG.

ZoranC
08-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Hint: It is my understanding SpoiledMan is very experienced with Menzerna / BF line so he might be able to clear this up for us.

SpoiledMan
08-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Experienced Menzerna guy but NONE with the Blackfire stuff.

ZoranC
08-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Experienced Menzerna guy but NONE with the Blackfire stuff.

If you want I can give you a 4oz "sample".

SpoiledMan
08-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Z, that might actually be a BAD idea. I might end up liking it or something. I think the lowest stock of any Menzerna polish I have is a little under half a gallon. :o

ZoranC
08-09-2007, 01:43 AM
Z, that might actually be a BAD idea. I might end up liking it or something. I think the lowest stock of any Menzerna polish I have is a little under half a gallon. :o

I am far from best person to say but I do not think it is that much different than Menzerna that you will all the sudden want to throw things away. However, it will provide great insight on how they compliment each other, plus I can not remember of BF GEP having equivalent in Menzerna. Or I am wrong? You do have experience with 85RD, right?

I would give you 4oz of GEP, SRC FP, and SRC Compound if you could provide insight where they are redundant with Menzerna and where they are not and instead provide compliment / addition to it.