PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports review of scratch removers.

Pages : [1] 2

snowskate
08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Just wanted to post a summary of Consumer Reports review of scratch removers.

1 - Quixx High Performance Scratch Remover - score - 90

2 - Mother`s CG Scratch Remover - score - 76

3 - NuFinish Scratch Doctor - score - 74

4 - Meguiar`s ScratchX - score - 62

5 - GS27 Scratch Remover - score - 62

6 - Black Magic Express Scratch Treatment - score - 58

7 - Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover (T-237) - score - 58

I think they based some of the scoring on the fact that "only Quixx did a good job of smoothing out a scratch that`s deep enough to feel if you run a fingernail across it."

They say Quixx comes with 3000 grit sandpaper, too.

kapinnn
08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Hmmm... I haven`t even heard of Quixx before. I also rarely go to auto stores.

Old Pirate
08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I heard that Quixx works very good, found it at walmart this past weekend at 14.97. I`ll be picking up a box this weekend if i have the time.

LazerRed1
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
It`s not hard to get out a scratch. The trick is to do so without leaving the paint in horrible shape or causing a great deal of extra work to polish out the scratch remover.

Any discussion along these lines in the article?

snowskate
08-08-2007, 03:27 PM
the only caution they added was "keep in mind that scratch removers can cause hazing, as the GS27 and Mequiar`s products did in our tests."

short article, one page.

BlackElantraGT
08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Here`s the article:

ConsumerReports.org - Scratch removers: Tips, Ratings, car paint, car scratch repair, auto scratch remover, and car wax (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/scratch-removers-9-07/overview/0709_scratch_ov.htm)

Here`s the chart:

ConsumerReports.org - Scratch removers, Ratings (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/scratch-removers-9-07/ratings/0709_scratch_rate.htm)

AlexRuiz
08-08-2007, 04:18 PM
I would say, beware of CR reviews..... ;)

Alex

Paulie Walnuts
08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
It`s not hard to get out a scratch. The trick is to do so without leaving the paint in horrible shape or causing a great deal of extra work to polish out the scratch remover.

Any discussion along these lines in the article?

LOL no kidding. I can take a scratch out with a brick, Im going to leave 1,000,000 more of them but I will get that scratch out.

jfelbab
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Every time I need a good laugh I read CU. What they don`t know about detailing would fill a library. They are a bunch of screwballs. You would think that as they repeatedly demonstrate how little they know about detailing, that reasonable people would begin to suspect everything else they review.

DM101
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
What ???? a brick ??????? Why don`t you post something that makes some sense and gives value to the thread?

LOL no kidding. I can take a scratch out with a brick, Im going to leave 1,000,000 more of them but I will get that scratch out.

mikebai1990
08-08-2007, 08:49 PM
WilliamHBonney is just making a joke...

I would also take CR with a grain of salt. Last time CR made some review of waxes, and didn`t really match the reviews of us autopians.

Scottwax
08-08-2007, 10:11 PM

I would also take CR with a grain of salt. Last time CR made some review of waxes, and didn`t really match the reviews of us autopians.

...especially when they downgraded P21S because it doesn`t have any cleaning ability. Duh, it isn`t supposed to. :hairpull

a.k.a. Patrick
08-08-2007, 10:12 PM
You guys have to admit, CR is not a reliable source by Autopian standards, when it comes to car care. BUT, on defense of the magazine which on the contrary does expose valuable information, the products they mentioned are all available OTC, and meant as OTC use. I think their test results are probably accurate, and informative for "your neighbors" use.

If you had to buy a washer/dryer, or refrigerator, GPS, etc (Things us Autopians dont know a great deal about) what better place to find information? Or are you just going to take Sears` advice!?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I think an important factor to know is what are the paramaters by which products were scored?

For instance, if ease of purchase meaning, being readily available as an OTC product is a parameter well then, that`s not so bueno in my book.

Paulie Walnuts
08-08-2007, 11:17 PM

CR makes claims all the time when there are better options out there. Its good for washing machines and vacuums but thats about it.