PDA

View Full Version : Bike fell on new car; assess my damage...

Surfer8210
08-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I am not happy.

I walk into the garage this morning to find that a bike and small wooden cabinent placed along the side of garage wall, fell onto the hood and front bumper of the car.

Damage = 5-6 inch vertical scratches, from top of front bumper to the bottom. The scratches dont seem too deep. Though rubbing my fingernail along the paint I can definitely feel "roughness" where the scratches are (and they are quite visible), my fingernail will not get stuck. Actually, I can glide my fingernail across with ease over the scratches.

Thought, comments? Is this body shop work?

coupe
08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
We need to see some pics

Surfer8210
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
We need to see some pics

Hey,

I would, but I dont have my digital camera with me. If you need more detail, let me know and I can try to provide more info.

imported_themightytimmah
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
It can probably be made good enough for 90% of people without a trip to the bodyshop... I`d hit it with a PC and 4" pads and 1Z Extra, see if you can live with that. If not, try having a local detailer touchup, wetsand and rotary buff it - if that`s still not good enough, it will likely take a paint gun to perfect.

What color is it? certain colors are very difficult to match (metallics) and you will likely be happier wetsanding and polishing it than using any touch-up paint or repainting the hood.

Surfer8210
08-08-2007, 03:38 PM
It can probably be made good enough for 90% of people without a trip to the bodyshop... I`d hit it with a PC and 4" pads and 1Z Extra, see if you can live with that. If not, try having a local detailer touchup, wetsand and rotary buff it - if that`s still not good enough, it will likely take a paint gun to perfect.

What color is it? certain colors are very difficult to match (metallics) and you will likely be happier wetsanding and polishing it than using any touch-up paint or repainting the hood.

thanks for the info.

the color is of the car is black (non-metallic).

I dont have a PC. Never used one either. The strongest thing I got right now is Meguiar`s No. 9. Thing is though, the car was built just 2 months ago so I`m worried if it would be too abrasive on the new paint. I would think its cured by now, but still.

What do you think?

bjlee
08-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Your car is cured the day they build it. They use a baked curing method at the factory, so it`s not like re-spray jobs at a body shop where it takes 30 days for the paint to gas out and cure. Go for it with #9, but that probably isn`t going to do too much applying by hand unless you`re really patient.

David Fermani
08-08-2007, 06:55 PM
By the time you go out and buy the proper products/equipment to *maybe* correct the damage, it`s may be cheaper and wiser to have a body shop or pro detailer give it a try or take a look at it 1st. Just a quick thought.