PDA

View Full Version : ONR on RV`s = HUGE time saver!!!

warlockid
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I ordered some ONR for my RV detail shop today. Was trying to find a way to make our exterior washes move a little quicker. Our process used to be: pressure wash, scrub with either brushes or microfiber mits on extension poles, pressure rinse, windows, dress the exterior. We have a huge water softener AND reverse osmosis system in place (Why, I dont know. Was there when I took over) so we dont hand dry the coaches. What I wanted to do was somehow eliminate one or more of these steps and thus eliminating some time in the bay.

The problem with using ONR is we cant use it conventionally because it would be way too time consuming to hand dry these huge beasts. I talked to an Optimum rep in Tennessee for awhile, bounced some ideas off him, and we came up with a couple ideas. What I decided to try was, using a more concentrated solution and a brush, wash the outside without pressure washing it first. Then once we brushed the whole coach, use the pressure washer and do a once over then hit the hard to get areas like wheel wells, awnings, roof edges, etc, then finish the coach as we regularly do. When we were all finished, we were amazed. The thicker solution helped the water sheet right off the windows and the exterior gel coat had an incredible shine! And this was an 2002 30` Hurricane class A, so she wasnt new by any means. When we were done, a job that would normally take 45-hour took us 30 minutes! Im so excited because now I can get more through the shop, make my department more money, and justify all the money I spend on detail products!

Anyone else try ONR on RV`s?

Forbesk
08-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I use Protect All Quick and Easy wash on my Rv and 2 vans. IMO it is better than ONR. Try it you will not be disappointed. I have used for 8 years.

warlockid
08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
I use Protect All Quick and Easy wash on my Rv and 2 vans. IMO it is better than ONR. Try it you will not be disappointed. I have used for 8 years.

Have you used ONR? I have a full gallon of ONR so Im gonna have this for awhile

BigJimZ28
08-06-2007, 10:53 PM

Why do you think it is better?

EVERYONE seams to like ONR a little better

Scottwax
08-06-2007, 11:10 PM

I used QEW for 12 years before ONR came out. My QEW has sat for nearly 2 years now. ONR works noticably better on glass and side by side, the ONR side is slicker and has noticably more gloss.

Interesting idea wth the RVs and ONR. I have a customer with a 45` Newell he has me do an exterior detail on about once a year.

PhaRO
08-07-2007, 12:22 AM
I start out using QEW and initially I thought it performed better than ONR. At the time though I wasn`t using it all of the time or on the entire vehicle exterior. Once I switched to rinseless completely I found ONR performed the best when used on a regular basis. Plus it was the cheapest of the three rinseless products when mixed according to instructions.

BlackElantraGT
08-07-2007, 02:10 AM
warlockid,

it seems like the only step you cut out was not pre-rinsing it first and that`s what`s saving you the 15-30 mins (I take it you meant to say 45 mins - 1 hour, not 45 hours).

Since you have soft water and RO water, why not just give the car a foam bath using a foam cannon, wash like usual, and then rinse?

I have and use ONR some times (I still prefer conventional washing), but I don`t really see how this makes washing an RV easier. If you`re saving time by not pre-rinsing, why not just do the same except using regular soap? I find regular car wash soap better at cleaning anyway than ONR. Not to mention regular soap is much cheaper.

warlockid
08-07-2007, 08:10 AM
warlockid,

it seems like the only step you cut out was not pre-rinsing it first and that`s what`s saving you the 15-30 mins (I take it you meant to say 45 mins - 1 hour, not 45 hours).

Since you have soft water and RO water, why not just give the car a foam bath using a foam cannon, wash like usual, and then rinse?

I have and use ONR some times (I still prefer conventional washing), but I don`t really see how this makes washing an RV easier. If you`re saving time by not pre-rinsing, why not just do the same except using regular soap? I find regular car wash soap better at cleaning anyway than ONR. Not to mention regular soap is much cheaper.

You`re right. I did mean 45 minutes....

If I went with a foam cannon, I wouldnt be saving any more time than I was originally. And I`ve used regular soap using this method but it doesnt have the shine or slickness that ONR seems to have. This whole new process is still in the "testing" phase right now so I may end up finding out its not saving me enough time to justify changing things. Since we do so many different RV`s and travel trailers with different surfaces and sizes, theres still a lot to figure out. So far though, its been a nice change.....

BlackElantraGT
08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
You`re right. I did mean 45 minutes....

If I went with a foam cannon, I wouldnt be saving any more time than I was originally. And I`ve used regular soap using this method but it doesnt have the shine or slickness that ONR seems to have. This whole new process is still in the "testing" phase right now so I may end up finding out its not saving me enough time to justify changing things. Since we do so many different RV`s and travel trailers with different surfaces and sizes, theres still a lot to figure out. So far though, its been a nice change.....

Ah I see. I see your point about the shine and slickness it leaves behind. That is one thing I love about ONR vs. conventional soap.

I would assume though that an RV coming in for a wash will be more dirty compared to your typical car, especially since people probably do not wash it as often. Since you said you`re using poles and brushes to wash them, I would just be careful and look to see if it`s creating more swirls.

Part of the whole ONR process is having a place for all that dirt/grit to go and if you`re just using a brush, I have a feeling you`ll just be pushing dirt around. It`s also another reason why I try to ONR only on a car that`s washed weekly/bi-weekly. With conventional soap on the other hand, you at least have the lubricity between your brush and the paint.

warlockid
08-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Ah I see. I see your point about the shine and slickness it leaves behind. That is one thing I love about ONR vs. conventional soap.

I would assume though that an RV coming in for a wash will be more dirty compared to your typical car, especially since people probably do not wash it as often. Since you said you`re using poles and brushes to wash them, I would just be careful and look to see if it`s creating more swirls.

Part of the whole ONR process is having a place for all that dirt/grit to go and if you`re just using a brush, I have a feeling you`ll just be pushing dirt around. It`s also another reason why I try to ONR only on a car that`s washed weekly/bi-weekly. With conventional soap on the other hand, you at least have the lubricity between your brush and the paint.

It might help if I explain further how our system works. Most of the coaches we wash are either brand new units from the factory or trade-ins. We actually wash the units a number of times. Once when it first arrives, then once when it is sold. We also have a wash truck with a 200 gallon tank and pressure washer that we use all week to keep the units on our lot clean. By doing all this, we keep them in pretty good shape.

We also do customer units. In these cases, we are very careful as to what we use on the coaches. On any full-paint coaches, we NEVER use brushes. Its all mf or cotton wash mitts, with soap and water. When its a fiberglass coach, brushes work very well without marring problems. We did a 45" Dynamax, Dynamax Corporation (http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/) ,today that was very dirty. We tried the ONR method first, and it didnt do what I wanted so more testing is in the works. I do appreciate all the input and its helping me put this ONR to good use. Im confident I`ll find a great way to make it work for us.

Forbesk
08-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Have you used ONR? I have a full gallon of ONR so Im gonna have this for awhile

Yes I have used ONR. My opinion QEW cleans better, gives better and longer lasting shine and absorbs real quickly and is excellent on windows inside & out. Try both and decide. Good luck.

Forbesk
08-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Why do you think it is better?

EVERYONE seams to like ONR a little better

Jim, by your definition who is everyone. Have they used ONR on a motorhome? I also use AW on the motorhome in addition to my vans and the results are excellent and long lasting.

BigJimZ28
08-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Jim, by your definition who is everyone. Have they used ONR on a motorhome? I also use AW on the motorhome in addition to my vans and the results are excellent and long lasting.

Well I can really only speak for my self

(but other have stated it also in this thread)

an no I have not use it on a motor home

I was just shocked as I have use both and I think ONR is a far better product

I think you are the first and only person that I remeber to say they like QEW better

but it does not matter what I think!

if you like it better that all that counts for you