PDA

View Full Version : What vehicle`s fluid can eat through clear coat?

David703
08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
My car was on an auto transport but it was underneath a car. My car had fluid on the hood that leaked from the car above. I thought i could wash it off but it etched into the clearcoat. And the car was only on the transport for a week! What could this fluid be? Brake fluid? Trans fluid? What could be so acidic? Not oil.

imported_themightytimmah
08-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Dot 3 (I think) brake fluid will do it.

Setec Astronomy
08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Probably brake fluid, that is pretty corrosive to paint. Coolant can be also, but usually only when it`s hot. How big/bad is the spot?

BigJimZ28
08-06-2007, 03:50 PM
your lucky!

I have had old brake fluid dissolve paint before I could grab a rag!

David703
08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Probably brake fluid, that is pretty corrosive to paint. Coolant can be also, but usually only when it`s hot. How big/bad is the spot?

I wet sanded it out pretty good, but I can still see it at the right angle. I`m borrowing a paint thickness meter and see if I can go down anymore. Thanks all!

94BlkStang
08-06-2007, 04:58 PM
My car was on an auto transport but it was underneath a car. My car had fluid on the hood that leaked from the car above. I thought i could wash it off but it etched into the clearcoat. And the car was only on the transport for a week! What could this fluid be? Brake fluid? Trans fluid? What could be so acidic? Not oil.

Brake fluid is by far the most corrosive but it would have completely ate through the clear coat if it was on that long. Any fluid can, especially used fluids that have contaminants, could cause some etching if it`s allowed to sit on the surface and dry for an extended period.

Grimm
08-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I doubt it was brake fluid. Anything more than a few minutes and the paint is gone with that stuff.

imported_smprince1
08-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Agree with everybody above ..... brake fluid is very aggressive and will eat paint.

jasonmac
08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Agree with everybody above ..... brake fluid is very aggressive and will eat paint.

Same here, though I`ve never experienced it! *knocks on wood*

porcupine73
08-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Ethylene glycol coolants can mess up the paint a little bit. Yes brake fluid or clutch fluid as already mentioned can really do a number. Sometimes on used Subaru cars (http://www.scoobyenthusiast.com/) you will see what looks like ghosting on the paint. Sometimes that happens if they were parked or used near an airport, because some of the jet fuel residue settles on the paint.

mikebai1990
08-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Brake fluid and coolant are two corrosive fluids that I know of.

Marc Hufnagel
08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Hyrdraulic oil from the cylinders that raise/lower the car ramps on those rolling parking lots?