PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss FC&S (921) Vs. Megs Utilmate Quick Detailer PRIZEFIGHT!

Pages : [1] 2

violentveedub
08-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I`ve used the DG stuff for about a year now and I`m really impressed with the product but ever since the hype started to swirl about Meg`s new QD I had to try it. I used to be a diehard Meg`s fan and I figure the people that introduced me to the QD should get another try...

The first test, my 07 VW Rabbit. It was slightly dirty from a rain storm on my home and I used both QD`s to clean a section of the hood.

Meg`s:

Decent cleaning, decent shine, you just can`t beat the spray pattern from the Meguire`s bottle it mists perfect and covers nicely. The smell of this product is like everything else from Meg`s lately (ala NXT) not bad by any means but if they are doing that to cut costs, why does this cost so much? Perhaps it just for "family" recognition. One thing that really bothered me about this product was that it didn`t seem to shine the platic parts. I use 921 on my black plastics and it makes them nice and deep, with a clean shine.

DG:

Better cleaning, Better Shine. Next to Meg`s this stuff is closer to an actual waterless wash, it knocked out dirt and a few bug smashes. The inital slickness of the DG is much better but they both evened out after a few hours. 921 seemed to enhance the look of the paint vs. the Megs that only seemed to clean it.

Test 2: A freshly washed car.

I washed my wifes jetta and then applied the Ultimate quick detailer. It did a great job of cleaning up some water spots and it left a generally clean look to the whole car. Once again 921 beat it in the looks department.

(I compared this to my bank of knowledge with my own car, both wear AW as the lsp)

Fresh applied pics:

My car...

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/89/car3.jpg

The Wifes:

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/89/anne.jpg

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/89/anne2.jpg

And then... It rained. Beading was, well kinda unimpressive considering the hype. I didn`t see anything so great about it. It did seem to shed water well as I drove it but not for very long.

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/89/anne3.jpg

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/89/anne4.jpg

The final verdict:

*921* Two bucks cheaper, just as slick, better looking with more cleaning ability. Duragloss has another winner. It smells nicer too!

The Meg`s stuff is good but not the best, if it was in 5 dollar price range it would be great but since it`s pushing 10... I don`t think so.

Setec Astronomy
08-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I used some of the UQD over some mostly depleted #16...and was similarly unimpressed with the beading...it was ok...not exactly "hydrophobic".

BigAl3
08-05-2007, 10:37 PM
The final verdict:

*921* Two bucks cheaper, just as slick, better looking with more cleaning ability. Duragloss has another winner. It smells nicer too!

thanks for the review, i`ll have to try it out. i *LOVE* DG AW, so i`m sure this won`t be a let down for a qd...

a.k.a. Patrick
08-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Hmmm, I wasnt overly impressed with the 921 when I first tried it. Maybe I should give it another shot.

SR77
08-06-2007, 06:40 AM
The thing i like about the Duragloss QD is it is compatible(mixable) with AW. So if you wanted alittle more protection or beading out of it all you have to do is add some AW to it. I will be buying a gallon of both next order and using the QD/AW for my QDing needs and plain AW for after washes. Can`t beat the price vs. performance/versatility of these 2 Duragloss products, especially since both can be bought in gallon sizes.

violentveedub
08-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, I wasnt overly impressed with the 921 when I first tried it. Maybe I should give it another shot.

I don`t know what you use on a regular basis but this was meant to just be a comparison between 921 and Megs UQD.

Anecdotally, 921 beats (in my opinion) any other QD I`ve tried.

The list of QD`s I`ve tried are:

Regular Meg`s OD

Menzerna HGAS

Long Haul QD

Meg`s UQD

DG 921

Eagle One WET

Hi-temp`s Quick Spiff

Mother`s Showtime

Armor All, something I don`t remember the name. (It was crap.)

felthove
08-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I`ve done similar comparisons w/ Megs UQD and wasn`t impressed. The DG FC&S was much nicer IMO in all regards. Where I DON`T agree w/ you is the spray nozzle on the UQD. It`s just too "misty" to work well anywhere but in a garage. Try spraying it outdoors w/ any wind and it just goes all over...

As a heads up, Poorboy`s Spray and Gloss is a similar in looks and feel to FC&S but is less prone to streaking. Both are great products.

imported_bpfoley
08-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I too was unimpressed with megs UQD. The beading shots confirm and reinforce my own findings. I was expecting amazing beading followed by incredible sheeting when driving. It does neither. DG AW beads better. Collinite beads better. FK425 beads better. I have not used DG quick detailer, but you have sparked my interest and will give it a try.

I too did not like how the UQD did not add anything to the look. I rarely use a QD to clean dirt since I own a black car it only gets touched during a full wash. But I like to add something at the end of the wash or after a wax for a wipedown to make sure I got everything and boost my LSP a little. That means I want a little extra pop. FK425 definately does this, but fades quickly (1 week or so). DG AW is in a different class being a wax, but still applies as easily as a QD and leaves an incredible lasting shine and slickness.

frostydog
08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Though I`ve yet to try megs UQD...I too have to give a big :xyxthumbs for FC&S.

Much like most people, I`ve tried many QDs over the past few years. My old goto was megs FI; FC&S shares many of the same attributes of FI only better. Plus FC&S offers a level of slickness (when used in conjuction with 105 and/or AW) that FI never could.

I really think used with 105 and/or AW, FC&S makes the surfice slicker than either product on there own...that`s saying a lot because both 105 and AW are quite slick. It also adds an addtional shine factor...though not nearly as glossy/wet/deep as AW and 105, FC&S offers more pop IMO.

FC&S also does a great job on fake plastic crome and similar type surfaces...

Then there`s the obvious...great price, readily available, smells nice, etc.

This weekend I`m going to pick up some DG 521 (the marine QD). From what I`ve read it`s supposed to be similar to FC&S only stronger. If DG can ramp up all the characteristics of FC&S without adding any streaking issues, it will be a great product.

felthove
08-06-2007, 01:04 PM
My experience is that it DOES add some streaking issues, especially if it is applied to a vehicle out in the sun, or if you don`t rub it in completely until it`s dry. Stick with a cool surface and use two towels. The Marine QD is amazingly slick (more so than FC&S) but a little finicky IMO. But it`s worth the added care you may need to use. It works especially well after a wash when you`re drying the car and there are a few droplets of water remaining.

AL-53
08-06-2007, 03:48 PM
If you like the 921 try the Marine detailer...cleans better and much slicker and has a serious gloss to it....Once I got the Marine Detailer I have not used the FC&S....

I have been using it the same way I use 921...1 spray to the MF towel...and 1 spray per panel..and another dry MF to wipe it off...and no problems...but the results are much better than 921...it states its anti static and UV protection...and will not remove any LSP....

AL

Cooter
08-06-2007, 03:57 PM
AL,

Whats the number on the marine detailer??

JeffM
08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
you could save yourself some time, money and effort and just assume, that if its a megs consumer product, it is average at best..

AL-53
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
AL,

Whats the number on the marine detailer??

the DG number is 521....I have been playing with the Marine products on some cars...the 501 polish is one strong Cleaner/Sealant AIO type product...I mean it cleans paint...even after a polishing it was bringing black gunk up on the pad....it has a nice gloss and slickness also...I use it for the base for 105 or 111.....instead of 101....

the 521 Marine detailer is a real nice product....

AL

DM101
08-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I am going to kindly say I like the Meg. UQD for looks. No disrespect for others opinions. Just looks better (my taste) on "MY" car and color.