PDA

View Full Version : How do you survive the winter? (i.e. for smaller ops)

Pages : [1] 2

m4gician
08-05-2007, 06:34 PM
This is a very complicated question, but here`s my dumbed down version:

I`m running a fixed op for now, detailing out of a garage space, but the garage isn`t insulated and neither is the water source.

Any quick ways to help survive this so I can keep detailing throughout the winter?

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

- Get a drain put in the garage to drain water properly without freezing.

- Insulate the garage and have a heater installed

- Either run the water source from inside (the home) or have one routed underground to the garage (I like the latter for it`s cost effectiveness)

Is there a cost effective way to do this so I can keep some of my business during the cold (but apparently not as snowy) Canadian winters?

imported_Jakerooni
08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Sounds like some serious issues to deal with before the snow flys. Not sure where your located at but if your in the snow belt you`re definatly going to need to tackle those. First priorty is getting some heat and insulation set up. Make sure your water lines don`t freeze up. Last year I worked all winter long in a building with no drain. I simply took a shop broom or squeegie and broomed the water outside when I was done with my rinse off. So your drain I would think if you had to prioritize would be the last thing to worry about. Good luck with it all though.

optimusp517
08-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I`m sure ONR will be one of your best friend during the winter seasons. Like jakerooni mention, start looking into insulations for the garage and your pipes. You want to prepare now before it`s too late.

Scottwax
08-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Generally it isn`t cold enough here in the Dallas area to affect me. Okay, it affects me freezing my butt off but not to the point I can`t work.

sdat1333
08-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I don`t detail for other ppl at all, but I`m with Scottwax. Even in NC it doesn`t get cold enough to really stop me from working. I can even wash with 2 bucket method outside and be OK. Sure, some days are colder than others, but there are enough warm weekends to keep the car clean.

Adam's Polishes
08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Where are you located?

If its cold enough to freeze I see this as a moot discussion b/c I just don`t imagine too many people interested in having their cars detailed when its freezing outside. Ice, snow, slush, and the addition of road salt doesn`t scream "detail" to me... as soon as it hits the road all the hard work is gone and so is their shine.

But, then again, I`m in SoCal and this isn`t a situation I`ll ever be confronted with.

m4gician
08-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Where are you located?

If its cold enough to freeze I see this as a moot discussion b/c I just don`t imagine too many people interested in having their cars detailed when its freezing outside. Ice, snow, slush, and the addition of road salt doesn`t scream "detail" to me... as soon as it hits the road all the hard work is gone and so is their shine.

But, then again, I`m in SoCal and this isn`t a situation I`ll ever be confronted with.

On the contrary,

I live and work in Toronto, Canada. I tend to disagree with you because, I mean we can call it whatever we want, I`m going to call it global warming. The winters here have become less snowy, and just simply freezing cold. Meaning a lot of cars drive fine, but are covered in salt marks and the like. Some people like to have a shiny car while everyone elses is covered in those salt marks. Especially since the sun on snow intensifies the shine people see, it makes a shiny clean car stand out that much more. There`s always a rush to the car wash (auto) when the sun comes out and it`s still cold outside.

I want to capitalize on that urge, especially if people are using their cars to go to clubs, parties, or gatherings. Would it be worth it? Or just shut down once snow starts and restart in the spring?

sdat1333
08-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I don`t detail for other ppl at all, but I`m with Scottwax. Even in NC it doesn`t get cold enough to really stop me from working. I can even wash with 2 bucket method outside and be OK. Sure, some days are colder than others, but there are enough warm weekends to keep the car clean.

Adam's Polishes
08-05-2007, 10:16 PM
On the contrary,

I live and work in Toronto, Canada. I tend to disagree with you because, I mean we can call it whatever we want, I`m going to call it global warming. The winters here have become less snowy, and just simply freezing cold. Meaning a lot of cars drive fine, but are covered in salt marks and the like. Some people like to have a shiny car while everyone elses is covered in those salt marks. Especially since the sun on snow intensifies the shine people see, it makes a shiny clean car stand out that much more. There`s always a rush to the car wash (auto) when the sun comes out and it`s still cold outside.

I want to capitalize on that urge, especially if people are using their cars to go to clubs, parties, or gatherings. Would it be worth it? Or just shut down once snow starts and restart in the spring?

I guess I can see your point... keep in mind that we don`t see snow here in SoCal unless we want to go boarding and head up to the local mountains so its kind of a foreign concept to me.

:tumblewee

m4gician
08-05-2007, 10:17 PM

Ah, oh my god. I completely forgot about the Two-Bucket wash! That`d save me lots of money, and I could use ordinary hot water. Then technically I wouldn`t have a problem with running water, although I would still probably want something to heat and insulate the garage just a bit. So I guess I`ve solved one of my major problems.

sdat1333
08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
are you being sarcastic or what?

If so, no need to be that way.

If I were in your situation, I would probably do an ONR wash in your garage, and just insulate the garage. Insulating your garage shouldn`t be too hard of a job (depending of course on the size and shape of the garage)

PhaRO
08-05-2007, 11:59 PM
I am mobile and don`t see the temperatures you probably see. Winter is usually a pain for me especially since I start at 7am. Last year I bought 2 1000w bucket heaters ($30 each) and heated my ONR water. No problems for the most part. One day it was 15 degrees and my equipment froze on me as soon as I flushed out the washer fluid I keep in the hoses so they don`t freeze. I managed to get enough water to do the car I was working on after that I couldn`t get the water from my tank to do anymore and went home. I now keep a small piece of hose with me to siphon water if I need to. If you can get the garage to 15-20 degrees you should be fine especially if the car is warmed up. I did have a few times when even with warm to hot ONR I`d get icing. A small steamer takes care of that. This year I`m going to probably keep the bucket heater in the bucket while I wash so that the temperature of the water doesn`t drop when I rinse my mitt.

m4gician
08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
are you being sarcastic or what?

If so, no need to be that way.

If I were in your situation, I would probably do an ONR wash in your garage, and just insulate the garage. Insulating your garage shouldn`t be too hard of a job (depending of course on the size and shape of the garage)

Why does that sound sarcastic? It`s completely and honestly true :). I forgot about two bucket washing, that`s how I used to wash my car during the winters when I didn`t want to bring my car anywhere :).

SuperBee364
08-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I think you might not have the same understanding of a two bucket wash as others do, m4gician. In Autopian terms, a two bucket wash means you still wash the car exactly the same way (hose is needed), you just use two wash buckets. One has your soapy water in it, the other has (typically) a grit gaurd in it, and plain water. After you wash a panel, you place your wash media in the clear water bucket, drag it accross the grit guard, squeeze it out, then put it in the soapy water, and continue working. The only way this differs from a traditional wash is the second bucket with the clear water and grit guard. It isn`t a method that is meant to replace the need of a hose or pressure washer.

kaval
08-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I am in the same boat as I also live in Toronto.

Insulation is key. I will be using ONR, and have a hose hooked up to the faucet in my laundry room and run hot/cold water to the garage if I need to. As for heating, currently looking into some alternatives that don`t rack up a huge bill. Best of luck with this, post up your decisions!