PDA

View Full Version : Which polishes work by hand?

2KLS1
08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I`ve detailed my car a couple of times now since I got my PC and while this machine works well there are some places that I just can`t get to with it (i.e. under the spoiler, door jambs for the rear hatch and other small nooks). So what I`m looking for are polishes that work well when used by hand. I don`t expect to do the same level of correction as with a PC but I would like to do some cleaning and at least minimizing water spots and swirling. Anyone have suggestions?

moosey
08-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I`ve never used them, but I`ve read that 1Z polishes work well by hand.

AL-53
08-05-2007, 04:56 PM
1Z polishes work very good by hand...Pak Shak has a good selection of them and some of the oldies also..he has the Metalic Polish Pro..nice polish by hand....he has the Paint Polish also...

A terry applicator works nice and gives it a little extra bite....the polishes give good results also...

Al

Accumulator
08-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Because working by hand is such a PIA, you might even use the 1Z Ultra/Extra for the initial correction. I`d rather remove its micromarring than struggle forever with just the Paint Polish.

My old (discontinued) faves 3M PI-III RC 05933 and PI-III MG 05937 work well by hand too. But generally, 1Z is the way to go for by-hand correction.

Note that 1Z polishes do a bit of concealing/etc. and leave wax behind, so I top them with waxes as opposed to sealants. 1Z polish/Collinite wax is a winning combo.

Note that while it took a *LONG* time and sure wasn`t fun, I`ve removed fingernail scratches from behind the door handles of Audis (hard clear) by hand.

2KLS1
08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Note that 1Z polishes do a bit of concealing/etc. and leave wax behind, so I top them with waxes as opposed to sealants. 1Z polish/Collinite wax is a winning combo.

I was just about to ask about that because I typically use a sealant as a base and top it with a carnauba. I can get 1Z here locally so I might just go with that anyway and top it with some NB. Are there any pure polishes that would work by hand?

percynjpn
08-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Because working by hand is such a PIA, you might even use the 1Z Ultra/Extra for the initial correction. I`d rather remove its micromarring than struggle forever with just the Paint Polish.

My old (discontinued) faves 3M PI-III RC 05933 and PI-III MG 05937 work well by hand too. But generally, 1Z is the way to go for by-hand correction.

Note that while it took a *LONG* time and sure wasn`t fun, I`ve removed fingernail scratches from behind the door handles of Audis (hard clear) by hand.

I couldn`t have put it better myself!! I also love Optimum polishes for machine use, but 1Z polishes are the BEST for hand application.

BobD
08-06-2007, 08:09 AM
1Z (http://store.danase.com/ei1mepowax.html) works great by hand.

Accumulator
08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I was just about to ask about that because I typically use a sealant as a base and top it with a carnauba. I can get 1Z here locally so I might just go with that anyway and top it with some NB. Are there any pure polishes that would work by hand?

If by "pure polish" you mean it Meguiar`s-speak-wise (i.e., nonabrasive) then any of their pure polishes (#3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal step #2 Polish) work fine by hand. But unless you`re working on single stage paint I`d much rather use 1Z Metallic or 1Z WaxPolishSoft. The abrasives in those two 1Z products are so mild that they`re almost functionally nonabrasive on most paint; you could use them as often as you like with no problems.

If, by a "pure polish" you mean something that doesn`t leave wax behind the way 1Z does, then all I can suggest is the 3M PI-III twins that I mentioned previously; they`re what I use before most sealants. Discontinued yeah, but I can usually still find them.

FWIW, I use 1Z`s *Pro-Line* Metallic Polish (round, 1-liter can) before 4-Star UPP sealant and it works fine.

You might also consider not topping the sealant with wax, but rather choosing just one or the other. I`ve quit topping my sealants (quite using sealants altogether on several of our vehicles) and I`m quite happy with the results. My carnauba`ed vehicles seem just as well protected as my sealed ones.

Jeroen
08-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Another fan of 1Z here, 1Z PP, MP and WPS.

2KLS1
08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
If, by a "pure polish" you mean something that doesn`t leave wax behind the way 1Z does, then all I can suggest is the 3M PI-III twins that I mentioned previously; they`re what I use before most sealants. Discontinued yeah, but I can usually still find them.

Yeah that is what I meant. I ended up getting some "Lack-Politur" today anyway and I`ll give that a whirl. I do think it can be toped with a sealant though because the bottle says to follow it up with their Glanz Wax which is described as a completely synthetic wax so I think it will work out. Even if it doesn`t I`ll just re-polish, no big deal. Thanks for the help.

steelwind101
08-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi,

Depending on your paintwork and what you use to apply it with.

Sonus do a specific hand polishing bundle which seems to be quiet popular and sucesful. The german applicators leave micro marring with other polishes but do seem to be very helpful.

If you have cobwebs from washing rather then the deep swirl marks 4 Star SMR will make light work of those by hand with a German App. As long as you break it down you shouldent need to chase it.

With any of the polishes you have to work small, 1 inch areas at a time are great but it takes time to break down the polish.

Geoff

Accumulator
08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah that is what I meant. I ended up getting some "Lack-Politur" today anyway and I`ll give that a whirl. I do think it can be toped with a sealant though because the bottle says to follow it up with their Glanz Wax which is described as a completely synthetic wax so I think it will work out. Even if it doesn`t I`ll just re-polish, no big deal. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, the "Lack Politur" is foreign-speak for "paint polish", the stuff in the green can.

As I hear it, the Glanz, which is *VERY* high in solvents, strips the stuff that the polish leaves behind, hence its ability to bond to it. I`ve tried BF and UPP over 1Z polishes and they didn`t bond well (though as noted, they do bond to the Pro-Line MP which leaves different stuff, and far less of it, behind).

See how things work for you and let us know.

White lexus 23
08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
i think megs deep crystal step 2 works really well also. megs #82.