PDA

View Full Version : How to clean wheels

Pages : [1] 2

SmoothAsGlass
06-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Looking to do my first detailing tomorrow on my new satin silver 2005 Honda CRV EX.

I think I have the paint all taken care of, but wondering how the wheels should be cleaned (just wash them or or use a certain type of wheel cleaner) and whether just dry them then or should they be waxed? Can UPP be used on them?

CharlesW
06-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Lots of opions on this, too
I wash my wheels with my regular car wash solution. I have never felt I needed anything stronger.
I do keep my wheels waxed/sealed with AIO/UPP, same as the rest of the vehicle.

Charles

Bill D
06-10-2005, 03:44 PM
You can use a variety of tools depending on the size and shape of the wheels also. For example, my wheels only require washing with a mitt as I can fit my hand right through them. I clay them and keep them sealed.

Some wheels have multiple spokes or otherwise multi faceted surfaces. For these, a certain tool or combination of tools may be needed. Anything from good boar`s hair brushes, those new Meguiar`s brushes, foam finger pads, swabs, etc, etc. might be needed.

tsx2004
06-10-2005, 04:31 PM
if you want a good product dedicated to cleaning keeping the wheels clean, check out poorboy`s wheel sealant.

Boss_429
06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Looking to do my first detailing tomorrow on my new satin silver 2005 Honda CRV EX.

I think I have the paint all taken care of, but wondering how the wheels should be cleaned (just wash them or or use a certain type of wheel cleaner) and whether just dry them then or should they be waxed? Can UPP be used on them?
SmoothAsGlass,

My advice is to always have a good wheel cleaner around.

If your vehicle is a daily driver, or has brake dust issues, or you simply can`t maintain the wheels as often as you like, you will need the wheel cleaner and a good wheel brush to "insure" there is no brake dust left on the wheels. Brake dust is very corrosive and can ruin any type of wheels pretty quickly if left un-checked.

As others have said, applying a good synthetic wax to protect them after they are clean will make keeping them clean a lot easier.

SmoothAsGlass
06-10-2005, 07:36 PM
So would AIO and UPP be better than using poorboy`s wheel sealant since they since they are brand new.

SmoothAsGlass,

My advice is to always have a good wheel cleaner around.

If your vehicle is a daily driver, or has brake dust issues, or you simply can`t maintain the wheels as often as you like, you will need the wheel cleaner and a good wheel brush to "insure" there is no brake dust left on the wheels. Brake dust is very corrosive and can ruin any type of wheels pretty quickly if left un-checked.

As others have said, applying a good synthetic wax to protect them after they are clean will make keeping them clean a lot easier.

Boss_429
06-10-2005, 07:52 PM
So would AIO and UPP be better than using poorboy`s wheel sealant since they since they are brand new.
Well, Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant is pretty tough stuff. (and what I use) AIO/UPP should also work very well though. Any durable sealant will help (not natural wax). Whether the wheels are new or old doesn`t matter... get them clean and protected.

kimwallace
06-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I cannot comment on UPP vs. Poorboys, but I have used AIO/UPP on my wheels for a couple years now and it makes them easy to clean even in the snowy winter. If I am able to keep up with cleaning the vehicles on a regular basis, the wheels come clean with just a good car wash soap. Or better yet, when I am cleaning thew car with Spray and Wipe, It works awesome on the wheels (If I am feeling energetic, I even follow up with a Detail Spray on the wheels. Using a sealant like UPP on my wheels has been one of the best tips I have recieved at Detail City.

mtwedt
06-11-2005, 11:38 AM
I can`t remember exactly what the 05 V`s wheels look like...if they are similiar to the 04 wheels, which is what I have. I wash the wheels with car shampoo solution when doing a full wash and with S&W when doing waterless maintenence. I have the wheels sealed with 3 coats of PB`s wheel sealent, an excellent product. I haven`t yet tried UPP on the wheels. I do intensive wheel cleaning with 5:1 APC (costco`s) and a wheel brush. It is a challenge to get behind some of the spokes with the brush. I actually have a steam cleaner and will have to try it out for getting stuff off from behind the spokes. I remember reading a post where someone used a steamer between the rim edge and the tire itself. I definatley want to try it on the wheel wells. After APC, I clean with some PB`s Pro Polish if needed, followed by VM and seal with PB`s wheel sealent. I have the foam finger pads now which definately speed up some of the application in Honda`s wheels. I have been very pleased with how the wheel sealent has kept alot of dust and dirt off and make quick cleaning them actually quick. The wheel sealent was applied like any other sealent...24 hrs between coats. I do a complete scrub of the inner wheels when I have them off the car for snow tire on/off. Same process, PP/VM/wheel sealent. I have been extremely pleased with the durability of the wheel sealent...going on 8 weeks and looking good. I just received some MF gloves in a Mother`s polishing ball kit from AutoGeek that would probably be great for buffing the wheels without draging your nice MF`s on the ground. If you already have the UPP, I would go ahead and use it. I think the biggest advantage you have here is that the wheels are in great condition since they are new and the UPP will help maintain that. At some point, you can get some wheel sealent if you want to. I also have some of DP`s wheel sealent, which I need to test. It smells like grape flavored candy for kids....so much so that I might be a bit concerned about the smell tempting small children to put it in their mouth. I assume that people with kids keep their products up high or under lock and key.

SmoothAsGlass
06-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Did my first application today of AIO and then UPP on the wheels. Is it better to do another or two applications of UPP on them or use Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant?

Boss_429
06-11-2005, 07:48 PM
The next time you wash and dry the wheels, just apply another coat of UPP. You`ll be good for a while. When it starts getting a little tougher to clean the wheels, you`ll need to start the process over.

mtwedt
06-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Since you started with UPP, I would follow it up with another coat or two. When it is time to renew the entire wheel protection, you could try the wheel sealent then, if you want to.

Mliner
06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Hello everyone what is UPP?sorry i don`t know the abreviated words around here.And where can i find it at?

CharlesW
06-13-2005, 05:55 AM
Hello everyone what is UPP?sorry i don`t know the abreviated words around here.And where can i find it at?It is the acronym for Ultimate Paint Protection made by 4 Star.

There is a "sticky" thread in the "New to Detail City Forum" that lists most of the acronyms.

Charles

Reflections KoP
06-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Sterling made by TransMate is what i use... this stuff is awesome... will def get anything off any type of wheel... then just apply some uup or wax to the wheel for protection