PDA

View Full Version : BMW 5 or Lexus GS350???

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_sonyexec
08-02-2007, 03:23 PM
time to buy a new car and I am torn between the BMW 5 series and the Lexus GS350.

I am on my second GS and have had an excellent experience with both GS`. All I have known is toyota, corolla, supra, GS, GS so you can see my hesitation in switching brands. In comparing the two the only thing I know for sure is that maintenance cost on a BMW is a lot more than on a GS ( I know that BMW offers free maint on the first 50k but just about any car you buy now-a-days makes it to 50k without service).

so any opinions, comments, suggestions?

SpoiledMan
08-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I`d get another GS. I despise the looks of the 5.

pigbat
08-02-2007, 03:54 PM
I was once in the opposite situation as you. Owned and loved BMW`s, moved to Lexus and hated life for a few years, moved back. I know Lexus makes quality vehicles and you are very comfortable with the Lexus experience. You may jump and find you want to go back.... You`ll never know if you don`t try. :) The Lexus will probably tend to have a softer, more comfortable ride. IMO BMW`s feel a little more connected to the road.

The free service does seem noteworthy on the BMW`s and it did shock me the first time I took my Lexus in for scheduled maintenance and they wanted $300. It also blew my mind a little when I went in for brakes and had to pay for them. lol

jmarm3
08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I love BMW, own one, but if you`re looking for a sedan and you`re not getting an upper model 5 seriesl, maybe your 530 i would consider the Acura RL.... listen im not a big japanese automotive fan, but my buddy`s parents bought this instead of the 5 series and i was AMAZED at the detail and class put into this vehicle... BE SURE TO CHECK ONE OUT!!!! Im not kidding! They were also looking at the Benz e350 and e500... This RL is really nice!

steelwind101
08-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Hello!!

I have a 5 series and was going to add my thoughts.

I think they are two different beasts, the 5 is a drivers car through and through. It handles and accelerates well and you feel in control at all speeds.

I feel the GS is more about luxery crusing, the setup from a driving point of view is distinctly softer. Its a much more laid back drive but thats good for somethings like motorway crusing and if you just prefer a more relaxed drive.

The looks of the 5 series go well with its brutish abilitlys on the road. It something you are punishd by or punish with. The GS is much more sleek and it seduces you as a technology focused upmarket looker.

I wouldent give MB a second look to be honest. The new E has had good press but there are 3 in my office and only one hasnt suffered problems with electrical issues.

The Audi A6 is a sweet package esp. with the Quattro package but thats really main benefit and unless you get a big discount its not as good as the 5.

The Acura RL has good mix of everything and is keenly priced. I would choose that if you want AWD over 5 series awd. BMWs are not about awd.

Just a few opinions!!

Geoff

imported_Bence
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
If you are not fan of frequent, necessary software updates, go for another Lexus.

If your eyes are comfortable with Lexus` panel gaps and overall build quality, maybe the BMW will scream another story (chunk). IMO it`s disgusting when I can see deep into the gaps because they are a mile wide, and Germans use a larger radius at the edge of the panels when stamping, so the gaps look even larger than they are.

Oh, and while the RL is really a terrific machine, I`d recommend that you should wait for the MMC.

high_revs
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
bimmer, all the way

roadmaster_Tx
08-02-2007, 11:34 PM
I will be biased on this one, take the lexus. I have driven the new and the old 5 series and the new and the old GS and IMO there really is no comparision, The GS is a clear winner, I still think the first GEN GS beat the 5 series in almost every category as well. On the new GS`s everything is top notch, from the paint to the interior materials are all high class. Case closed.:grinno:

imported_DJBAILEY
08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
With the Lexus you can get the premium Mark Levinson sound system. The best factory stereo system in the world probably. True hi-fidelity with amazing imaging, not something that`s just loud and rattles the license plate on the trunk lid.

imported_sonyexec
08-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks for all the great opions and I will take a second look at the RL and give it a test ride. I understand the BMW is a driver`s car and I only wish I lived someplace where I could take advantage of the top notch handling the car delivers. Unfortunatly I am in So Calif where the majority of our freeways are straight as arrows and congested. If I want to take advantage of a performance car I would have to get on the freeways between midnight and 3a - any other time there is traffic. Given that maybe I should concentrate on creature comforts in a car, those that can be enjoyed at our break neck traffic hour speeds of 15-20mph LOL. :thx

jcflys
08-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Do I really need to say anything else? PURE FOOKING SEX!!!!

tod071
08-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I was pondering the same question when I bought my GS. My friend, who used to be a mechanic at BMW, told me this; If you`re looking to buy, get a Lexus. If you`re going to lease, get a Bimmer. Problems on the Bimmer usually appear the day after the warranty expires. So I got a GS.

If you are in congestion and love power, the GS450h is awesome. Just waiting for year-end price drop and will probably go in and get one this year.

BigAl3
08-03-2007, 01:36 AM
in the long run i`d choose the lexus...

Jeroen
08-03-2007, 02:01 AM
I`d go for the BMW!

markp95
08-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I have a 2005 RL. Not a "drivers" car. Great tech and very smooth ride. I went with it over BMW due to AWD (needed it in NY).