PDA

View Full Version : clearcoat scratch

kchau
08-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I havea scratch in my clearcoat that im afraid to sand out. is it possible to fill it in with "touch-up-clear" and and then sand it off?

or does filling the clear with clear never work right?"

Macruz19
08-02-2007, 06:17 AM
If you can`t feel the scratch with your finger nail then you can probably buff the scratch out with a PC using a polish. If it`s deep then using a rotary might work without wet sanding.

IMO, I`d get a pro to do sanding jobs, if you can`t take the scratch out.

Accumulator
08-02-2007, 12:50 PM
I havea scratch in my clearcoat that im afraid to sand out. is it possible to fill it in with "touch-up-clear" and and then sand it off?

or does filling the clear with clear never work right?"

It doesn`t "work right" but it can be better than nothing. I had a scratch like that which was *way* too deep to remove on the M3; I filled it with touchup clear and while it doens`t look great, it`s better than it was and *in this case* I`d rather have that that very thin clear (which still woulda had the scratch showing anyhow).

Think of it this way- if you don`t like the touchup, you can just clean it off with Langka/lacquer thinner.

Removing very deep marring with wetsanding can work, but taking off a lot of clear makes me worry about the future...*never* being able to correct that area again, let alone the possiblility of premature cc failure, usually isn`t worth it to me.

kchau
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
yeah lucky its only my fender. so i can risk a little more than if it was anywhere else.