PDA

View Full Version : How many coats of clearcoat?

clicknext
08-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I`m painting a grille piece and already have the base coat done (lots of layers) and about 3 thin coats of clearcoat. Each coat was just enough to look like it covered the surface, and to the eye, looked like they dried within about 30 seconds. At 10pm I left it to dry and called it a night at that. Do you think I need any more? How much clearcoat do you usually put on?

Also have to ask, is it okay to not sand the clearcoat afterwards? I like how it has a slightly bumpy sort of texture right now, just like the plastic trim pieces. But will this be bad for durability or anything?

clicknext
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Anyone? Is there some kind of painting forum anyone knows about where I can ask?

imported_steveo3002
08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
what clearcoat?

high solids 2 k stuff ...2 coats is plenty

rattle can rubbish....prob 6-8 coats

sixty7mustang22
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
For future reference, you only need as many coats of color as it takes to cover the sirface. There is no point in adding any more. The clear is where the magic happens. For plastic items, I generally add 6 coats for a spray can. I add 4 coats if it is a spray gun type clear.

If you left it over night, I wouldn`t add any more clear for 48 hrs. If you add it before then, there is a chance that the new clear will draw up the previously shot clear. This is bad.

sixty7mustang22
08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
For future reference, you only need as many coats of color as it takes to cover the sirface. There is no point in adding any more. The clear is where the magic happens. For plastic items, I generally add 6 coats for a spray can. I add 4 coats if it is a spray gun type clear. You did it backwards.

I definitely suggest that you add more clear. However, since you left it over night, I wouldn`t add any more clear for 36 more hours. If you add it before then, there is a chance that the new clear will draw up the previously shot clear. This is bad.

Here is my painting technique in a nut shell... You fog a few extremely thin coats of color to get the surface sticky. You then start adding you coats. They get heavier each time until the surface is coated and smooth. Generally 3.

You then spray your clear on. No need for fog coats since the surface is already sticky. I do about two thin coats and then 4 or so thicker coats to get the surface smooth and so I will have a thick clear.

Leaving the "texture" wil be completely fine. However, if you wish to wetsand, wait about 5 days before wetsanding since you aren`t baking it.

I hope that helps.

clicknext
08-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Oops. First time painter. It is the rattle can paint. Hopefully having more coats won`t mean it degrades faster. Went with about 6 thin-ish coats of clear in the end. I can see why getting it done at a shop costs so much now! Long, long time spent... I have a new found respect for paint guys! lol

David Fermani
08-03-2007, 12:41 AM
From what I know about painting, most painters put down between 2 or 3 coats of clear on average over their base. Very rarely do they clear their trim pieces unless it`s a mirror, large bumper filler or high appearance panel. Alot of trim is done in single stage. Next time you could have go up to your local body shop paint supply house and have them mix you up a can of glossy single stage.

clicknext
08-03-2007, 06:44 PM
From what I know about painting, most painters put down between 2 or 3 coats of clear on average over their base. Very rarely do they clear their trim pieces unless it`s a mirror, large bumper filler or high appearance panel. Alot of trim is done in single stage. Next time you could have go up to your local body shop paint supply house and have them mix you up a can of glossy single stage.

It`s a big, thick grille piece. Normally done body color by most people who have it, but I think it looks better in trim color. I actually preferred a non-glossy look, but after letting the color coat dry and cleaning it up, my hand was still picking up black paint when I touched it. So I figured maybe I better put on the clear or else this color is gonna fall off! It`s pretty solid now, though. I`ll wash it and the rest of the car in about a week and see how it does.