PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION!! : Dishsoap ruined my pad !!

Pages : [1] 2

canusa
08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi guys, being somewhat of a new poster here i had been researching and decided i would simply wash my pads with dawn dishsoap. I had such a hard time getting all the soap out of the pads. I rinsed them about 4 times each. After the wash/rinses, i let the pads air dry. The next day i started to use my orange pad again to the roof of my car. At first i thought that the OC was just dusting alot. Upon further investigation i realized that it wasn`t the OC dusting at all.... it was my pad CRUMBLING apart. The pad was simply falling apart on me. About 1-1.5" all around the edge of the LC flat pad was crumbling away. i couldn`t figure out what had happened or why it was doing this. I emailed Chris @ eShine and let him now what was happening. He explained to me that i should be using a cleaner meant for pads and should be near neutral PH level, also that these cleaners would be low sudsing making the rinsing easier. He also sent me a new orange pad even thought it was my fault the pad got messed up , and even threw in a package of Snappy clean pad cleaner to set me out on the right foot.

So here`s a note of caution to those using dishsoap to clean your pads, and a Kudos to a great guy running a great company with top notch customer service. This is one more reason i`ll be ordering from Chris in the future.

Cheers,

-Mike

94BlkStang
08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi guys, being somewhat of a new poster here i had been researching and decided i would simply wash my pads with dawn dishsoap. I had such a hard time getting all the soap out of the pads. I rinsed them about 4 times each. After the wash/rinses, i let the pads air dry. The next day i started to use my orange pad again to the roof of my car. At first i thought that the OC was just dusting alot. Upon further investigation i realized that it wasn`t the OC dusting at all.... it was my pad CRUMBLING apart. The pad was simply falling apart on me. About 1-1.5" all around the edge of the LC flat pad was crumbling away. i couldn`t figure out what had happened or why it was doing this. I emailed Chris @ eShine and let him now what was happening. He explained to me that i should be using a cleaner meant for pads and should be near neutral PH level, also that these cleaners would be low sudsing making the rinsing easier. He also sent me a new orange pad even thought it was my fault the pad got messed up , and even threw in a package of Snappy clean pad cleaner to set me out on the right foot.

So here`s a note of caution to those using dishsoap to clean your pads, and a Kudos to a great guy running a great company with top notch customer service. This is one more reason i`ll be ordering from Chris in the future.

Cheers,

-Mike

Well, it was a nice gesture on his part, but the pad still shouldn`t have disentegrated from a washing with Dawn. I`ve washed all of my pads by first soaking them in some water and APC and then finishing up with a cleaning in the washing machine. I have a side loader so it`s much gentler on the pads. Never had a problem.

imported_Dave1
08-01-2007, 04:41 PM
So here`s a note of caution to those using dishsoap to clean your pads,

Hmmm.....I`ve used 409, Dawn and Fantastic on my pads to clean them up a bit and have had zero problems......

I wash mine by hand in the sink and let them air dry over a couple of nights.

Interesting.......

canusa
08-01-2007, 04:43 PM
i just asked the girlfriend... and apparently it`s not dawn.... its just regular generic dishsoap from a huge container we have that she just refills the dawn bottle with.

eShine
08-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I have personally had the same problems with pads getting brittle when using dish soaps. The soap is so hard to rince out completely and the soap dries in the pad. I would guess if you can completely rince the foam of the soap you would be ok but have you ever tried to get dish soap completely out of a foam pad? The other problem I experienced is the pad foaming up next time I use it. If you MUST use a household product to clean pads make your work easier any try a cleaner thad had low suds like an APC.

Well, it was a nice gesture on his part, but the pad still shouldn`t have disentegrated from a washing with Dawn. I`ve washed all of my pads by first soaking them in some water and APC and then finishing up with a cleaning in the washing machine. I have a side loader so it`s much gentler on the pads. Never had a problem.

You are using an APC which would work much better as mentioned above.

Heck, has anyone seen what happens to their dishcloths when they dry with soap in em? They are like cardboard! LOL

imported_DetailDan
08-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Havent had any problems here using Dawn on the pads.

BigJimZ28
08-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I have only used dawn liquid for years with no problems

and now I use dawn power dissolver never had a problem after countless washes

Scorponox
08-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I just had the same thing happen to my orange pad...all around the edge started crumbling. I just used Dawn too. Seems weird.

Beason
08-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Havent had any problems here using Dawn on the pads.

let my pads soak in some hot water then add some dawn to the mix. let them sit. then use a pad brush to aggitate then rinse out. let soak in warm water once again. rinse. Air dry then spin dry on pc. takes about 2 hours to clean. Never had a problem and my pads still look knew after 3 years.

eShine
08-02-2007, 01:08 AM
I`m sure like any other topic there will be the "Ya, it ruined mine too" and "I have no problems" which is expected. I am sure a main factor is how well the pads are rinsed of the soap.

imported_DetailDan
08-02-2007, 06:55 AM
let my pads soak in some hot water then add some dawn to the mix. let them sit. then use a pad brush to aggitate then rinse out. let soak in warm water once again. rinse. Air dry then spin dry on pc. takes about 2 hours to clean. Never had a problem and my pads still look knew after 3 years.

Yep. Thats almost exactly what I do too.

canusa
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
yea i`m almost positive i didn`t get all the soap out.. i couldn`t.. it just kept foaming... i rinsed sooo many times.. so i let them dry then tried using them and that was what happened. Lesson learnt by me... the hard way but at least i learnt :nomore: Chris just made my learning experience less harsh :goodjob

mongo
08-02-2007, 10:45 AM
What about Simple Green cleaner

Pats300zx
08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
I have never had any issues with washing my pads with Dawn (blue) or Dawn Power Dissolver...:nixweiss

jasonmac
08-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I have never had any issues with washing my pads with Dawn (blue) or Dawn Power Dissolver...:nixweiss

Me either, but I have seen a caution on properautocare or AG (can`t remember off the top of my head at the moment) about using dish washing soap to clean pads.