PDA

View Full Version : In need of detail package

Pages : [1] 2

Johnny-J5
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey all autopians!:wavey

Ive been a huge fan of this site and totally lost track of my account. I havent posted in a while and am in need of a detail. Here is my welcoming post:

http://autopia.org/forum/welcome-greeting-center/70555-greeting.html

I have a couple of shots of my car (from last year, a lot has changed) and some of the products that i have used.

Since then i have tried out a lot of poorboys products (SSR2, SSR1, Natty Blue, super suds wash, tire shine), DP sealant glaze (i dont really like it), Megs NXT (great results, harder to use than s100) and S100. I also have some cobra mf towels (im over cobra, i think that poorboys towels are better)

I now have a PorterCable 7424 OB. I need some product to go with it.

I need pads, towels (waffle weave and application/deapplication), product (polish, glaze, wax) and anything else to complete my detail.

Im leaning towards Klearcote or poorboys for the polish and glaze. Wax, towels, pads, and everything else im kinda unclear on.

Im willing to spend around $200 for everything. Can you guys help me out with some of your favorite products?

:thx

evilWagon
08-01-2007, 01:43 PM
You have a Black Subaru with rally flaps... abbandon all hope. J/K Nice car though.

I have an 07 wagon with the same flaps but people aren`t kidding when they told me that to get a Subaru (with their terrible paint) in black was asking for trouble. I can`t contribute advice on machine polish as I`m just looking into it myself. But if you had pictures of the current marring/issues I`m sure you`ll get more specific responses on ways to correct it.

There are a few other Subaru owners on here as well. `Chaos` for one.

What products do you currently use on the car? I like the NXT on the Obsidian Black Pearl, but I`m going to try topping it with Meg`s 26. Any pics of past details?

Oh and cheers on coming back!

Johnny-J5
08-01-2007, 02:23 PM
You have a Black Subaru with rally flaps... abbandon all hope. J/K Nice car though.

I have an 07 wagon with the same flaps but people aren`t kidding when they told me that to get a Subaru (with their terrible paint) in black was asking for trouble. I can`t contribute advice on machine polish as I`m just looking into it myself. But if you had pictures of the current marring/issues I`m sure you`ll get more specific responses on ways to correct it.

There are a few other Subaru owners on here as well. `Chaos` for one.

What products do you currently use on the car? I like the NXT on the Obsidian Black Pearl, but I`m going to try topping it with Meg`s 26. Any pics of past details?

Oh and cheers on coming back!

hey fellow Suby enthus!:hifive:

The first time i used NXT i didnt like how hard it was to work with. I put it on the front fender then soon abandoned it. At the time i was all about the ease of application of the s100. I since have tried it ( i ran out of s100) and got some decent results.

lately ive been real busy with work so i havent had time to work on the car. I have some more pics of my past detail on my comp at home. Ill post them up later.

I cant wait to get my car back up to par with the PC.

m4gician
08-01-2007, 02:40 PM
hey fellow Suby enthus!:hifive:

The first time i used NXT i didnt like how hard it was to work with. I put it on the front fender then soon abandoned it. At the time i was all about the ease of application of the s100. I since have tried it ( i ran out of s100) and got some decent results.

lately ive been real busy with work so i havent had time to work on the car. I have some more pics of my past detail on my comp at home. Ill post them up later.

I cant wait to get my car back up to par with the PC.

PC or UDM will be the machien you want. For around $150 - $200 you`ll have everything you need to tackle tough jobs and make that paint shine again. That includes cost of wax, because if you get it all at autogeek for example they have great packages with pads, and lots of easy instruction videos you can follow to make it a breeze.

Johnny-J5
08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
So after doing a bit of researching im planning the following:

Wash with Poorboys SS

Clay (dont have a fav clay, used calfornia gold twice)

SSR2 (need to choose pad depending on swirls)

SSR1 (finishing pad)

Clearkote RMG (finish pad)

Cleakote carnuba wax (finish pad)

Natty Blue as LSP

Im gonna to take some pics to get some of your opinions on what polish/pad to use.

evilWagon
08-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Looks like a decent routine depending on the level of correction needed (that I don`t have experience in).

What is your actual paint colour?

I know the Java Pearl was only one year (04 I think) yours is either an 02/03 so you predate both the Java Pearl and Obsidian Pearl. Hmm.

How are stone chips etc? Many miles on your car?

And finally because you`re obviously an enthusiast and likely drive your car fittingly; is that your first transmission?

I look forward to fresh pics.

Johnny-J5
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
the color of my car is midnight black pearl. It is black with navy blue flake.

First tranny, running 78k with a 16g setup putting 280whp/260wtq. No problems so far, its been a great car!

Jeremy1026
08-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Detailers Paradise: Premium Car Care Products, Auto Detailing (http://www.detailersparadise.com) order the super bundle. It has everything you need at a good price. the Prima line is top notch

Johnny-J5
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Detailers Paradise: Premium Car Care Products, Auto Detailing (http://www.detailersparadise.com) order the super bundle. It has everything you need at a good price. the Prima line is top notch

Intresting Jeremy. Thanks for the input. It really looks like a nice kit, the price reflects it.

The only qualm i have about that kit is the lack of use of a PC. It seems that all those products are applied by hand. I didnt really see any polishes either...im pretty sure ill need some polish as i have some spider webbing.

Johnny-J5
08-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Well here are some of the latest pics i have. I wish i had a better camera than what i used....Oh yea the car is really really dirty.

oh well:nixweiss

http://www.umit.maine.edu/~Jonathan_Tse/post%231.JPG?FCItemID=S31D166E5

Looks good from 10 ft away....but look at whats really there:

http://www.umit.maine.edu/~Jonathan_Tse/post%232.JPG?FCItemID=S31D166E6

Paint Chips

http://www.umit.maine.edu/~Jonathan_Tse/post%233.JPG?FCItemID=S31D166E7

Water marks/stains in clearcoat

http://www.umit.maine.edu/~Jonathan_Tse/post%234.JPG?FCItemID=S31D166F2

Spiderwebing.

What do you guys recommend me do about all my problems? Specifically the water etching...Do i need a more aggressive product than SSR2?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy1026
08-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Intresting Jeremy. Thanks for the input. It really looks like a nice kit, the price reflects it.

The only qualm i have about that kit is the lack of use of a PC. It seems that all those products are applied by hand. I didnt really see any polishes either...im pretty sure ill need some polish as i have some spider webbing.

Eww, I didn`t realize that they didn`t come with any polishes. You could always add another $30 and get Prima Swirl and Prima Amigo (the only polishes that you need for day-to-day use.) All of the Prima line can be applied by hand or machine. The reason they give you so many towels and pads with the bundle is because many people use them by hand to start, then move to the PC. I`d just give them a call, ask for Heather, she will take care of you, tell her what you want to accomplish and she will put together a list for you, everything you need, nothing you don`t.

Edit - Just want to add that my 1st order from them, which included my PC, came to just about $220.

pt91
08-02-2007, 08:23 PM
So after doing a bit of researching im planning the following:

Wash with Poorboys SS

Clay (dont have a fav clay, used calfornia gold twice)

SSR2 (need to choose pad depending on swirls)

SSR1 (finishing pad)

Clearkote RMG (finish pad)

Cleakote carnuba wax (finish pad)

Natty Blue as LSP

Im gonna to take some pics to get some of your opinions on what polish/pad to use.

I would stop after the CMW because I am not a believer in applying two different waxes. The CMW looks nice on black.

Try the SSR2 and if it doesn`t get you to where you want to be invest in Menzerna or Opimum polishes.

Johnny-J5
08-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Cool thanks pt91. Maybe ill stop at the CMW.

Im really concerned about the water etching.....Is it gonna require something very aggressive like wetsanding?

Im thinking of buying a cutting pad and some compound...

Jeremy1026
08-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Cool thanks pt91. Maybe ill stop at the CMW.

Im really concerned about the water etching.....Is it gonna require something very aggressive like wetsanding?

Im thinking of buying a cutting pad and some compound...

The waterspots should come off with a few passes of clay.

Johnny-J5
08-03-2007, 08:43 AM
The waterspots should come off with a few passes of clay.

yea ive hit it with clay and a pc w/ssr2 + cutting pad. Marks are still there....