PDA

View Full Version : Sealing and/or wax over touch-up paint

cannedcreamcorn
07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi,

I`ve been lurking for a while but don`t seem to be able to find a good answer to this. I have a Toyota pickup that I`m about to sell and want it to look as good as it can. It was repainted about two years ago (Dark Purple Pearl Metallic....don`t ask why) but still ended up with some scratches that need to be touched up. I`m polishing it using Menzerna IP and 106FF with a rotary but would like to use a glaze and/or a wax afterwards. All the information I`ve seen says to wait 30-90 days before waxing new paint but I need to get this sold a week after I finish polishing. So what options do I have to apply an LSP without damaging the touch-up work? Is there a product that will do the least harm to fresh paint? Or can I just put painter`s tape over the touch-up spots and wax around it?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Accumulator
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
cannedcreamcorn- While I`m a big proponent of not waxing fresh paint, in the case of some small touch-ups I don`t worry about it. The only potential problem is the new paint not reaching maximum (potential) hardness and I don`t much care if a tiny dot of touchup paint is a little soft.

The last time I touched up some chips on the S8 I just UPPed around them though.

FWIW, Optimum`s wax is supposedly OK for fresh paint, and so is FK 2180. I myself use Meguiar`s #5 for this.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!