PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun...

danforz
07-31-2007, 03:04 AM
Hey guys, I was washing my car today and for the first time I`m starting to see slight marring... though its very difficult to see (I have a gray car) I assume that over time it may build up. But to be honest, I don`t have the time to be as intricate and methodical with the two-bucket-two-mitts-switch-mitt-side-for-different-section wash anymore so I was thinking about the Foam Master.

Now, the price on this sucker IS a factor, but is it worth it? Can I just foam my car down and clean using a one bucket (only a rinse bucket) method with out marring? Or is it only worth while as a pre-rinse followed by the usual 2 bucket method?

dinesh7
07-31-2007, 03:35 AM
I have purchased the foam gun, and I think i will use it only when I am going to polish the car for sure after, or just let the suds sit on the car and let it break down the road dirt, and proceed with the 2 bucket approach. Reason? I still find there is not enough slickness even on the max foam setting and I fear it might cause marring. Sure is tons of fun though. But I think it really boils down to keeping your mitt clean after each panel is washed and ensuring enough car shampoo between your mitt and the car.

Way2SSlow
07-31-2007, 06:48 AM
I dont think the foam gun is your answer. I mean, I guess you could use it in place of the buckets, but I dont think that`s going to solve your marring issue. If you read Accumulators threads on how to wash a car, that`s really what you SHOULD do if you want to make sure you dont mar the finish. It`s a little extreme for me, as I just cant spend that much time (per wash) on both of my cars.

Accumulator
07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah, IME (and hey, other people use them differently so it`s not like I have the only opinion worth considering) the foamgun doesn`t make washing easier, it generally makes it a bit *harder*. But used properly (and that "used properly" is oh-so-important!) it can cut marring down a *LOT*. As in, silver/gray vehicles shouldn`t need polished for a few years, even with heavy winter use.

But don`t underestimate the difficulty involved; I must`ve used the foamgun dozens of times before I settled on the technique that works best for me, and I still tweak it from time to time. It`s no miracle-worker ;)

IMO/IME quick, easy washes (heh heh, no pun regarding QEW intended ;) ) and marring-free washes are pretty much mutually exclusive. The best way to have the best of both worlds would probably involve a pressure washer.

danforz
07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah, IME (and hey, other people use them differently so it`s not like I have the only opinion worth considering) the foamgun doesn`t make washing easier, it generally makes it a bit *harder*. But used properly (and that "used properly" is oh-so-important!) it can cut marring down a *LOT*. As in, silver/gray vehicles shouldn`t need polished for a few years, even with heavy winter use.

But don`t underestimate the difficulty involved; I must`ve used the foamgun dozens of times before I settled on the technique that works best for me, and I still tweak it from time to time. It`s no miracle-worker ;)

IMO/IME quick, easy washes (heh heh, no pun regarding QEW intended ;) ) and marring-free washes are pretty much mutually exclusive. The best way to have the best of both worlds would probably involve a pressure washer.

By pressure washer you mean use it to thorougly hose down all the particles off the vehicle? Would this compromise any LSPs (sealants or waxes?)

steelwind101
07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Using a power washer in a safe way is very effective and you can put a foam lance on them and get foam way better then Glimour foam gun.

Personally i have the foam gun and see on its own as just a gadget. They look like great fun, foam everywhere....but the fun wears off after the first few times. I dont personally use mine to spray soap and wash but as far as pre soaks go just go with the power washer.

Geoff

Accumulator
07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
By pressure washer you mean use it to thorougly hose down all the particles off the vehicle? Would this compromise any LSPs (sealants or waxes?)

Yeah, the idea is to blast the dirt off with water pressure and not otherwise touching the vehicle. It`s pressing dirt against the paint with a mitt/etc. and then moving it that causes the marring.

How hard it`d be on the LSP oughta be a matter of which shampoo, how strong the mix, and how long the dwell time. Shampoos that are very LSP-friendly (e.g., Griot`s) shouldn`t cause problems unless you mix them way too strong.

Using a power washer in a safe way is very effective and you can put a foam lance on them and get foam way better then Glimour foam gun...

Depends on how you`re using the foamgun. They`re two completely different tools for completely different uses (at least the way *I* use the foamgun).

There are lots of reasons why a pressure washer might not be right for a given application, and the foamgun-centric approach is so different as to offer an alternative worth considering.

..Personally i have the foam gun and see on its own as just a gadget. They look like great fun, foam everywhere....but the fun wears off after the first few times. I dont personally use mine to spray soap and wash but as far as pre soaks go just go with the power washer.

FWIW, I too first thought the foamgun was just an interesting gadget/toy, must`ve used it a dozen or more times and then put it away.. until I analyzed the whole thing thoroughly and reconsidered. Then, once I had the concept figured out, it still took dozens of washes to get the right technique sorted out.

Note that I do not use it (primarily) for presoaking or for spraying "foam everywhere" though ;) For what I use it for, I`ve yet to find anything that`ll do the job as well and I now consider it a serious tool. When somebody who`s as particular about marring as I am can go years without polishing, well, that`s something.

Didn`t intend for the above to be an :argue but rather an explanation of why the pressure washer/foam lance (in which I have an active interest) and the Gilmour foamgun are two things that I don`t consider comparable due to their differences. If I can get the pressurewasher`s overspray issue figured out (and that`s just specific to my situation, not a general criticism), I plan to try using *both* approaches in combination.