PDA

View Full Version : Problematic Tint Removal

TheLesser
07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I own a 1986 Porsche 944. When I bought it, it had a very poor tint job. I spent this weekend removing the tint, and it eventually all came off. I was admiring my finished product in the late evening, and I noticed that the windows had a waffled look to them. It looked like there were frequent faded of blotchy patches throughout the window. I tried to rub them out with no success. The window in low light looks worse than with the poor tint. Does anyone know what this is, or if there is anything I can do to fix it? Thanks a lot.

Dave

BigJimZ28
07-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I would think it is glue from the tint

I would scrub with WD-40 on a terry cloth to remove it

then use a good glass cleaner a few times to remove the WD-40

good luck!

TheLesser
07-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I`ve already done that. I also tried goo-b-gone and more ammonia. It doesn`t seem to be working.

BigJimZ28
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
OK then the next thing I would try is a Magic Eraser

and if that does not work try 0000 Steel Wool

sorry, but that is all the ideas I have

TheLesser
07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks a lot. I`ll give the magic eraser and steel wool a try. If that doesn`t work, I may have had an idea. I remove the tint using heat and ammonia. The window was covered in a black plastic bag all day in 90 degree weather. Hopefully it will pass if it is not the glue. Thanks again for the help.

Manny
07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
BigJim is right. Get some Top Job ammonia, a fresh set of single edge razor blades and some 0000 fine steel wool. Get plenty of throw away towels, too. Spray the ammonia and use the razor blades to go over the sprayed area - The yellow ammonia is going to make the adhesive look like your car has a runny nose (yuk) - but it will come off with a little time. You can use that method for all but the rear window, for that use ammonia with the steel wool. It will keep you from damaging your defroster grid.

TheLesser
07-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Well I did that, and the glue is all off. It almost looks the window was warped somehow and the tint may have been hiding that. I`m still hoping the effect will fade.

Setec Astronomy
07-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Whoa there! Stop with the steel wool. I have had and seen plenty of cars that have that look to the windows, that have never had aftermarket tint. I think it is an artifact of the tempering/bending during manufacture. Think about that before you take any steel wool to that classic.

TheLesser
07-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Alright, thanks I thought it might be something I couldn`t fix. The fortunate thing is that it is only visible in low evening light. Thanks all for the help.