PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Some Questions

Grimass
07-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I currently own a black 2006 Lexus IS 350 here in beautiful Ann Arbor, MI. I have not been good to it. I`ve taken it through countless drive-through car washes and the paint job is as swirly as all get out. In addition, as I just found out today, there is a bunch of fine overspray on my car from some construction work they were doing on my parking garage at work. This sucks.

1) What`s the best place in Michigan to take my car to get this taken care of?

2) Is the overspray something that can be dealt with without repainting?

3) If they can get the overspray out, what about the swirl marks, etc?

Basically, I just want to talk to someone who knows what the hell they are doing. I took my black car to a place around here to have it polished and waxed and all they left me with were more swirl marks and other scuffs, etc. The guy seemed to me like he was a total idiot. I want someone who can make the paint job look as close to new as possible or tell me that it just isn`t possible.

Is there anyone that can give me a hand on this?

Thanks,

Dave

MatrixXRS
07-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Welcome to Autopia!

To answer your questions:

1) There are a number of good detailers in Michigan. You may consider posting in the regional forum to find an Autopian in your area. Bob Daniels, owner of Danase Detailing Supply (a forum sponsor), also resides in Michigan and may be able to point you in the right direction. If I were still in town, I would have been happy to help you out.

2) Overspray can be easily dealt with. I`ve removed significant clearcoat overspray safely with a clay bar. It should not require repainting of the vehicle.

3) Any competent detailer should be able to not only remove the overspray, but also the swirl marks (without inducing any further paint defects). My black sand pearl Toyota paint looks fantastic after a light polishing and waxing.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Grimass
07-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I appreciate the advice. I`ve been looking around the forums and I am now ashamed of the way that I have taken care of my car`s paint job. I just had NO idea...I just took it through the car wash, you know? I have learned my lesson. I`m actually selling the car this week, so I need to get the overspray removed and just make the car look good for a couple of days so I can get rid of it. The next guy can deal with the swirl marks.

BobD
07-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Grimass,

Welcome to Autopia! Always good to see another Michigander around. There are a bunch of fine detailers in our area. Steve, screen name wifehatescar, is not too far from you and might be able to help. Also, if you just want your car to look good for a few I recommmend 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It fills swirls really well.

Bob