PDA

View Full Version : Langka vs Quixx vs 1Z PP/MP by hand

zingyginger
07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Has anyone compared these products?

I got a deep scratch (down to the primer, about half an inch long) on the bumper of my car :( I want to try to fix it with touchup paint and one of these products. The car`s a 2007 Mazda3 sunlight silver. I tried searching for thread with a comparison but came up emptyhanded. Any suggestions would be welcome. :help:

Accumulator
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
My MPV is also silver, but between point of manufacture (mine`s from Japan and IIRC yours was made in US) and model year differencess I doubt that matters.

But anyhow...Langka works better for some people than for others and IME it works best on fairly deep chips.

Haven`t tried Quixx.

Much as I like and recommend 1Z PP/MP I haven`t used them on the Mazda. They oughta work fine though as Mazda clear isn`t reputed to be extremely hard. So as long as you don`t expect them to work miracles (as in, you need an aggressive product and/or a rotary), you oughta be OK with them. You might not even need the MP, see how it looks after the PP. The preceding is in regard to PP on the vehicle in general, *NOT* for using PP after fixing the scratch (see below).

But as for the touchup, I dunno how well it`s gonna turn out. I can`t do it all that well despite years of trying, and silver is *hard* to do. IMO it`s gonna show no matter what you do. The last time I had something like that fixed, he tried brush-touching a scratch that sounds about like yours; it turned out better than if *I* had done it, but not nearly as nice as if he`d spotted it in with a spray gun. But OTOH my better painter brushed in two big to-the-metal chips on the Jag and I can`t see them unless I *really* look...so maybe you`ll get lucky. Silver is just a) very hard to touchup and b) always a crap-shoot with regard to matching.

Use a small artist`s brush to apply the paint; I use either a size 10/0 or a 20/0 ("ten-oh" or "twenty-oh").

I dunno how well the Langka/PP approach will work for the scratch. Langka doesn`t leave things perfect for me, but I live with it. Polishing the area just cleans up any light marring *on and around* the touchup that might happen from the Lankga process; it doesn`t make the touchup blend in any better. If you want to do *that* you need to wetsand and then use a much more aggressive polishing approach, and I wouldn`t recommend that.