PDA

View Full Version : newbie first timer question

fusQer
07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I got all my equipment in and finally did my first detail job. I was polishing with the PC, Menzerna, and brand new edge pads. I was getting really frustrated because I would start buffing the Menzerna and I could see the round marks that the buffing pad was making. I tried and tried for 5 minutes but they would not go away. Round circles consistent with the pads shape keep moving around as I move the PC. Why is this happening? The car is an 07 Black Inf g35 coupe. Could it be the humidity? It is very humid here... Could it be I didn`t wait long enough after applying the Menzerna on the car? Maybe I put too much on? ugh

BobD
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Probably not working the polish in long enough at a high enough speed.

fusQer
07-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I was on speed 5 of the PC for a good 5-8 minutes in one 2x2 ft section of the car. Is that not long enough? My body aches now, I dont know how people do this for a living :)

coupe
07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
2`x2` is to big for a PC, try 12"x12"

fusQer
07-30-2007, 10:36 AM
ok, so the "smearing" of the polish that i was experiencing is normal? how long should it take to work the polish in so those circular smears go away?

ZeroDfx
07-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Maybe you`re using too much product? I usually work the polish for 3-5 minutes and by that time the smearing circles have pretty much disappeared; I keep polishing and working it until it does nearly disappear. Then I can see if I need to go over it again or whether I`m happy with the results. I`d keep playing with it and make a couple changes until you zero in on it; you`ll get it.

Good luck, Nick

kapinnn
07-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Did you wash and clay the car properly before polishing? Is the pad clean?

Work the polish at speed 6 on a 2x2 area or smaller.

Different polishes will give you diferent indications of when they are done.

They will usually begin to dry a bit or become less hazy.

Wipe it, inspect it, hit it again if the swirls persist.

Move up pad and/or product if you see no improvent

Get some good knee pads or a little cart.

Keep your back straight.

Move you arms and body together.

That will minimize the stress on your body.

kapinnn
07-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh I just read what car you got... If it`s the same paint and clear as my Black Nissan 350Z you are in trouble. :D I could not do much with a PC. You might need a rotary for the job.

IronDr.
07-30-2007, 03:04 PM
If it was me and it was my first detail, I would definitely do it by hand. Was the finish so bad that you had to use a machine to polish it????????????????

MatrixXRS
07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Are you polishing in the sun? The product may be flashing and creating the concentric circles. If the surface of the paint is too warm, the product will dry out and create the rings you`re describing.