PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation Removal w/ Red Moose Glaze

mhuf
07-30-2007, 09:06 AM
I`ve been using the RMG on my 1988 911. The first time I used it, a good bit of oxidation came off. After waxing.... Natty`s Red.... I noticed a bit of uneven color ( Guards Red )

on the door. I did another round of RMG... more red on the rag (oxidation) I still notice

slight unevenness to the paint, this is very slight color changes in the circular pattern I

use. This does not show up in pics, kinda have to be in just the right angle to see it.

My question is.... can you remove too much paint/oxidation with the RMG ?

Is it possible to go too far with this ? Should I keep going till no more red is on the rag OR

stop now ?

Thanks,

Chuck

mikebai1990
07-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I don`t think that RMG is considered an oxidation removal product. It`s a glaze, so it doesn`t to any correction.

Use something like Klasse AIO, Meguiars ColorX, or a polish.

94BlkStang
07-30-2007, 10:07 AM
I`ve been using the RMG on my 1988 911. The first time I used it, a good bit of oxidation came off. After waxing.... Natty`s Red.... I noticed a bit of uneven color ( Guards Red )

on the door. I did another round of RMG... more red on the rag (oxidation) I still notice

slight unevenness to the paint, this is very slight color changes in the circular pattern I

use. This does not show up in pics, kinda have to be in just the right angle to see it.

My question is.... can you remove too much paint/oxidation with the RMG ?

Is it possible to go too far with this ? Should I keep going till no more red is on the rag OR

stop now ?

Thanks,

Chuck

RMG barely has any abrasives or cleaning power that it sounds like you`re just barely tapping the surface of the oxidation and not completely removing it. Going to a more abrasive polish should take care of the problem and then follow up with the RMG to enhance the finish. Then you can top with your LSP. What other paint correction products do you have and what pads?

mhuf
07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
No other products and no power implements. All work done by hand !

I was using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze with One Grand Blitz Wax and before that I used

Griots Fine Hand Polish and Best of Show Wax. I have never had a problem like this

so I haven`t really needed anything else. From what I can come up with is that some

paint work had been done on a rear quarter panel next to the door I`m having issues

with. Overspray is what I am coming up with. 3M nor Griots took this off, RMG is !

The rest of the car with the RMG and the Natty`s Red looks unbelieveable !

Thanks,

Chuck

Scottwax
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
If the wax is streaking over single stage paint, there is still oxidation that needs to be removed. I`d try Meguiars #83 or #80 to remove the rest of the oxidation and then use RMG and Natty`s to finish it.

Here is a thread I did about a red 944 that might help:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/69096-bring-back-single-stage-red-porsche-944-plus-boxster-cayenne.html?highlight=porsche+944

mhuf
07-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Scott,

Thanks for the reply, nice job on the Porsches !

I`ve got lots of friends in the Porsche Club in Dallas/Ft.Worth area.... I used to live in Austin.

I`m going to go over the problem area again this weekend. The area in question is 19

year old paint,so I imagine it is a bit weathered. My 1988 911 only has 165,000 miles on it !

Thanks again for the info !

Chuck

glen22
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
You have a single stage paint thats why you have and will continue to have red on your rag or polish pad. As stated above you will need a polish to get rid of your oxidation issue then glaze and then lsp.