PDA

View Full Version : Help with gluing Velcro back on CMA`s pads

Spilchy
07-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I have those older Hi Gloss Professional Constant Pressure Foam Pad from CMA with the half blue foam backing and have been extremely disappointed in them. They are the 6.5" Variable Contact looking ones.

I used a couple a while back and started using them again in lieu of my regular Lake Country / Propel / Sonus / Edge pads since I hadn`t worked with one in a while.

I have the first generation ones without the little pockets on the new CCS pads. I got them a while back from blackfire.com while they had free shipping.

Not only do they lose their rigidity after the first use, but the Velcro backing falls off (after cleaning) as well as cuts into the pad with any pressure applied while polishing. After I use them once, the polish pad then feels like a finishing pad when I go to use it again.

I returned one to them when it happened the first time right after purchasing, but I can`t contact them like 18 months later and say the others too are falling apart!

I clean them NO differently from my handfuls of other Lake Country / Propel Sonus / Edge pads. Those others hold up perfectly and maintain their rigidity and backing after multiple polishing sessions and cleanings.

I clean them by having them sit in a 5 gallon bucket of cold water with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator. I let them rest and then agitate by hand and rinse under cool water. I switched to a bucket instead of a washing machine on a delicate setting because of the delicate nature of these CMA pads. The washing machine on a delicate setting works just fine on all the other style pads.

I`m sure I would get blamed for user error in cleaning because I used the Micro Rejuvenator (even though it states it can be used on buffing pads) instead of that "Snappy Clean" that they sell. But I clean my pads like the rest of you; gently with mild detergent.

ANYWAY, my question is: What do you recommend I use to glue the Velcro backing to the pad? I see 3M offers a spray adhesive. I need something that will hold up to pressure, / heat from polishing, water from cleaning them and won`t bleed through the Velcro. Thanks for any recommendations. :up

glen22
07-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I dont think anything will hold through a polishing but thats just my opinion.

AL-53
07-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Seth..I used both gorilla glue and Weldbond...I like the weldbond a bit better....the gorilla glue seems to expand when dried....and rigid...

the Weldbond was more flexible when dried....and not as hard in texture also....

I tried the 3M spray adhesive..and not good results....seems the foam is to porus for it to work good....

hope this helps

AL

Spilchy
07-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks Al :xyxthumbs

I have Gorilla Glue readily available and will look up Weldbond.

CleanGSR
07-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I also used the Gorilla glue and it`s held up through quite a few polishes and machine washes.

wannafbody
07-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Seal All works well but it is a bit stiff- which might not be a bad thing

salty
07-31-2007, 01:58 AM
I`ve used Goop, dries flexible and has held up to dozens of machine washes.

pigbat
07-31-2007, 10:28 AM
I`ve used Goop, dries flexible and has held up to dozens of machine washes.

Where do you get Goop?

BigJimZ28
07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Where do you get Goop?

most places have it

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, ect....

SuperBee364
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I`d bet epoxy would work well. You`d just need to be careful not to over apply it as it could leech through the velcro.