PDA

View Full Version : Wen Orbital? and other swirl mark questions

scoobydrew
07-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Background:

I`m an avid Subaru enthusiast (Impreza to be exact). And of course, Subaru is infamous for having poor paint.

Problem:

After I brought my Impreza home a few months ago (2001 Impreza), I decided to give it a good wash and wax. Back then I didn`t know what proper technique was. I thought proper technique was to fill a single bucket with water, drop in some soap, mix, throw in a sheepskin mitt, wet the car, then go to town. After that, rinse, dry with chamois, then proceed to wax with those blue shop towels you get at Costco. Man, what a mistake!

My trunk has more swirl marks than ever! It`s weird because I can only see the swirl marks on the trunk, and barely on the side or even the hood.

I quickly joined Autopia to learn about proper car detailing. After seeing all the recommendations about the Porter Cable, I thought about this old "Wen Orbital" we had sitting in the garage that we bought in the mid to late `90s.

Question:

How capable is this orbital? The only thing I can see from the label is that it`s made by Wen, it`s an orbital, and it has 3000 O.P.M. And it`s red.

If this isn`t good, are there good swirl mark removers out there that I can apply by hand with a MF pad or towel? I don`t really mind going the "manual" route, as the worst swirl marks are located just at the trunk. Also, this product must be available at Kragen`s or Autozone or something.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Eliot Ness
07-28-2007, 07:31 AM
:welcome to Autopia!

That WEN won`t be useful for too much except wax application and removal..... not enough power for defect removal.

If you want to try something by hand that is OTC then pick up some Meg`s Scratch-X and see how well that works for the level of defects you want to remove. Personally I`d save up for a PC or UDM, but in the meantime Scratch-X might be worth a shot. Below is a link that explains how to use it:

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online Archive (http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516&highlight=scratch%2A)

To remove a defect that is fairly noticeable will require several applications and be sure to work it pretty hard, with a passion, as Mike Phillips likes to say.

scoobydrew
07-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply! I will pick some up right now.