PDA

View Full Version : Satin/Silk edges

Pages : [1] 2

LQ9SS
07-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Will the Satin/Silk (not sure what they are made of) edging on some micro-fiber towels cause marring/scratching?

BobD
07-27-2007, 07:31 AM
It depends on the softness and quality of the edge material.

LQ9SS
07-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Anyone else have any experiences?

NickelPlated.45
07-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I`m all about folding the towel so there is no edges.

BlueZero
07-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I`ve taken the edge of a few towels and tried to scratch my paint. On the cheaper ones it will leave marks, however with any of the nicer towels you don`t need to worry about it. When you use your towel folded up I wouldn`t worry at all about it. If you wad your towel into a fist full, then you `might` end up with some on the cheaper towels. Buy good quality towels and fold them. :)

LQ9SS
08-09-2007, 11:40 AM
So I should be fine with the Danase WW that has the silk edges?

BlueZero
08-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I would think so. I just got one not long ago but haven`t used it yet. The towel part seems really soft compared to other WW I`ve used, so I would guess that the edges are good quality as well. I will test it out tonight or tomorrow.

medic159
08-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I don`t know why they are referred to as Silk because I can assure you they aren`t. This is another case of terms being thrown around by disreputable mills. Every one I`ve seen the fabric is a polyester or rayon satin. This might scratch since it`s a very dense weave so test it first to be safe.

LQ9SS
08-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I don`t know why they are referred to as Silk because I can assure you they aren`t. This is another case of terms being thrown around by disreputable mills. Every one I`ve seen the fabric is a polyester or rayon satin. This might scratch since it`s a very dense weave so test it first to be safe.

Well thank you for clearing that up.

BigAl3
08-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Will the Satin/Silk (not sure what they are made of) edging on some micro-fiber towels cause marring/scratching?

if you fold the mf towel in quarters and exert pressure towards the middle and not toward the edges, you`ll be fine...

pt91
08-09-2007, 07:38 PM
satin is a weave structure and silk is a fiber. for some reason people tend to confuse this.

BlueZero
08-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I washed my truck tonight and tested it out. Under normal folded drying, no problems at all. So they I just took the edge and rubbed it on my paint under light pressure, again no marks at all. I pressed a bit harder, still no marks. So then I pressed with pretty heavy pressure on one finger pressing just the edge of the towel, that left quite a few fine marks. I`m really not worried about the WW leaving marks during drying. Fold the towel and use about the weight of your hand and you will be fine. I really had to work at it to leave marks. Hope that helps put your fears to rest.

My normal drying towels have been Meguair`s WW and the huge fluffy ones from Target. The Danase WW is much much nicer than either of those two.

LQ9SS
08-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the results Scott.

LQ9SS
08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Does anyone ever cut the satin edges off of the towel?

BigAl3
08-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Does anyone ever cut the satin edges off of the towel?

i`ve done it before and the edges will shrivel up or come un-done even more, i would leave it be...