PDA

View Full Version : rinse with wetting agent?

jedovaty
07-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi,

I was reading through a post by davidb in the "to dawn or not" thread (http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/94308-use-dawn-not-2.html#post968636), where he used plenty of terms I learned during orgo an ino in college. Which got me thinking to my film photography hobby.

When you finish developing film or photographs, typically you rinse or briefly soak in a mixture of distilled/de-i water and a wetting agent such as Kodak`s "Photo-Flo." This helps your negs and photos dry without spotting, water basically sheets off.

So.. what about getting a clean bucket filled with a gallon or two of this mixture, and just toss it on the car and let it air dry? I`m sure someone has thought of this before (I`m thinking of the infomercials that let you wash the car without drying..).

I can see if the label on my photo flo has any ingredients tonight that might be harmful to the paint or strip the wax..

evilWagon
07-26-2007, 02:08 PM
From my expereince the key ingredient is the distilled water... the wetter would primarily be to trap chemicals from the setting phase.

There are plenty of water filter solutions that provide the same results, there`s a thread here regarding industrial versions. I as a hobbyist have also had good luck with the Mr.Clean Autodry filter. I prefer this solution to the one you`re suggesting because it removes the minerals etc from the water supply as opposed to adding something to it.

Another concern I`d have it not just the harmful chemicals affecting the paint or wax but about them getting into the ground water/where ever your wash water runs off to.