PDA

View Full Version : preventing holograms?

Pages : [1] 2

CHAOS
07-26-2007, 01:15 PM
i Pm`d this to someone on here then decided it should just post it...

how can i prevent holograms? i was polishing a friends 98 celica the other day and i noticed i was creating some holograms... i got them to go away or so i hope, but i want to know what im doing wrong to create these....

i was using poorboys SSR3 on an LC CCS orange pad, PC speed 6. this also created a good amount of micro marring/haze even tho it reduced swirls... i was able to reduce the haze and micro marring by stepping down from SSR3 to ssr2 with an orange pad then ssr1 with an orange pad, i followed that with some PB polish with sealant and it looked pretty good... i just dont want to do this on a customer car... i mean his car looked pretty good but i dont want pretty good... i want outstanding. let me know what you think. thanks

- Jon

coupe
07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
You cannot create holograms with a PC

BobD
07-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Your problem is the orange pad. You don`t want to finish with the orange pad. Use SSR3 speed 6 and the orange pad, SSR2 speed 6 and a white pad, and SSR1 speed 6 and a white or black pad. Finish with your wax or sealant.

BlueZero
07-26-2007, 01:34 PM
I think your probably seeing micro marring. I see that on my black truck when I use the orange pad. Like Bob said you might need to step down in polish and pads to finish. Hope it works out for you.

ConglomrationAL
07-26-2007, 02:32 PM
You can create holograms with a PC as i`ve done so on a Honda before. They were very mild holograms, but they were noticeable, by me, nonetheless. However, i`m not saying that what Jon had going on were holograms i`m just saying it`s possible. If it`s possible to burn paint with a PC then it`s possible to create holograms with a PC.

In regards to Jon`s question, you def. need to step down in pads while you step down in aggressiveness with your compounds. I`d finish SSR1 with white pad then go AIO with blue or black.

~Albert

CHAOS
07-26-2007, 07:59 PM
the reason i kept the orange pad was because of the severity of the swirls.. i used the polish with sealant on a white pad and then carnuba with a black pad... i mean it came out well but it couldve been better

thanks for the tips

stiffdogg06
07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I would never use an orange pad with a light polish like ssr1... White as the strongest.

CHAOS
07-27-2007, 04:59 AM
why is that tho? everyone says they dont use it but no one explains why really

sevenrd
07-27-2007, 05:08 AM
I`ve only created holograms with the rotary. But perhaps it could happens with a PC. Although I`ve never experienced it, even with SSR3.

Heavy compounds such as SSR3 will leave haze and/or holograms behind. Following up with a milder polish (SSR2.5 in this case) on a lighter polish pad should remove the bulk of the haze/holograms. I final pass of SSR1 on a finish pad should get the surface ready for a sealant/wax.

ConglomrationAL
07-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Jon, you want to use a white pad with SSR1 because SSR1 is a finishing polish and you want to use a softer pad to bring out the gloss and to insure that no micromarring or haze is induced. The softer the pad the better the gloss, the firmer the pad the more cut it has but it can leave haze behind. Always, finish with a softer pad when polishing.

~Albert

CHAOS
07-27-2007, 06:56 AM
cool, maybe next detail i can get you and jordan to come help me out or something.

BobD
07-27-2007, 07:07 AM

Because along with the polish the pads are actually doing some of the work as well. When you use an aggressive pad with a light polish the pad is more aggressive than the polish.

Hope that sort of makes sense?

CHAOS
07-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Because along with the polish the pads are actually doing some of the work as well. When you use an aggressive pad with a light polish the pad is more aggressive than the polish.

Hope that sort of makes sense?

yea, that makes sense... i guess it just boils down to me having to get my methods down...

ConglomrationAL
07-28-2007, 07:54 AM
cool, maybe next detail i can get you and jordan to come help me out or something.

Anytime man,

If you ever need to get done a detail faster I`d def. be up for helping. Shoot me a PM if you ever need anything.

bjlee
07-28-2007, 08:04 AM

The easiest way to explain polishing is that you`re essentially scratching the paint with finer and finer scratches.

Swirls are nothing but millions of tiny scratches in the surface of the paint. When you polish, you start with a more aggressive polish (courser) and pad with makes millions of smaller scratches in the paint - to the point that it rubs out the swirls. If you look closely (and in bright light) you can see these scratches from your polish ... AND PAD - this is Haze. So to get rid of the haze, you use a softer pad (still less scratching) and a less aggressive polish (finer) and you make still finer scratches in the paint. They aren`t visible to the eye, and it comes out looking like a mirror finish.

It`s really no different than working with Sandpaper. You start off with a heavy grit and you keep getting finer and finer until the wood looks perfect.