PDA

View Full Version : PC upgrade question

imported_bpfoley
07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Already owning a PC7424 and being a little let down with it, I am considering a UDM. However, is a cyclo a better choice? The UDM will allow me to keep all my current pads. But will a cyclo correct better? I am looking for maximum correcting ability vs. time. Vibration and noise are not concerns, only end results.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Already owning a PC7424 and being a little let down with it, I am considering a UDM. However, is a cyclo a better choice? The UDM will allow me to keep all my current pads. But will a cyclo correct better? I am looking for maximum correcting ability vs. time. Vibration and noise are not concerns, only end results.

Explain the reasons why you are let down with it and that will help all aid you in your quest....

coupe
07-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Use it with 4" pads, you will be impressed.

imported_bpfoley
07-26-2007, 09:29 AM
The PC seems to lack power to me. Any weight on it bogs the machine down, and it takes multiple passes to correct harder paint types. I even seem to have trouble getting quality results on my wife`s `07 Saturn paint. I own a wide array of polishes, thinking that the combo was wrong but with a much lighter wallet I am still at square one. I also thought it would be experience, but I have owned and used one for almost 2 years now. Granted I am better at it, but it doesn`t live up to the hype.

The UDM makes the promise of being stronger, and better in all regards. The Cyclo seems to be the silent underdog yet pricey in comparison (machine cost and new pads). Perhaps I was being to harsh on the above post, but a "gentler" more user friendly machine wouldn;t hurt. The PC just beats the crap out of your hands for a full car, much less SUV.

coupe
07-26-2007, 09:33 AM
What size pads you using?

Seriously try 4" pads. I can correct and polish an entire vehicle way way way faster with 4" pads compared to 6.5" pads.

hydro556
07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Why dont more people use the Makita 6040? It is powerful, well built and can RO and rotary. I just got one and really like the versatility and the vibrations dont seem as bad as everyone implies the PC and UDM are. Just wondering.

wannafbody
07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
I`d just step up to a rotary. Use the rotary for serious cutting and the PC for finish polishing.

imported_Jakerooni
07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Why play around with kid toys? Just get a real machine for real detailing. I still don`t get this obsession with PC`s and D/A machines. the right tool does the right job all the time. The PC seems like nothing more than a beginners tool to detailing. Or that of a lazy person that just dosen`t want to hand wax and polish anything. Get a rotary you`ll never look back

sneek
07-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Air D/A`s is when we should be using. Too bad big compressors aren`t cheap. They break down polishes fast and the never bog down. They are real D/A`s not just a random orbital :P