PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Black Trim (bumpers, etc.)

Pages : [1] 2

SmoothAsGlass
06-08-2005, 05:11 AM
What is best to use on a new car to maintain the black trim such as the bumpers, mudguards, etc.? Something like Poorboy’s Trim Restorer?

Poorboy
06-08-2005, 06:08 AM
That really depends on the type of trim it is...on grainy stuff Trim Restorer is great, but on smooth plastic I would use something like PwC or AIO etc....on hard rubber, i would clean with an APC and then use a water-based dressing even though it won`t glow that long, it will halp preserve the rubber longer and prevent dry rot...:)

SmoothAsGlass
06-08-2005, 06:38 AM
I would be using it primarily on the black front bumper of a 2005 Honda CRV; no restoring or cleaning really needed, just more of a maintenance type product I am interested in.

That really depends on the type of trim it is...on grainy stuff Trim Restorer is great, but on smooth plastic I would use something like PwC or AIO etc....on hard rubber, i would clean with an APC and then use a water-based dressing even though it won`t glow that long, it will halp preserve the rubber longer and prevent dry rot...:)

Poorboy
06-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Honda`s have some interesting plastics...for a CRV ...and you should pm Norah about this..I would actually use Spray & Gloss for maintenence and after washing then buff with a cotton towel...for some reason Honda plastics are not always receptive to dressings:dunno

pappy
06-08-2005, 07:05 AM
check this out. Greg made a trim resteration guide

http://www.detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=12255

tsx2004
06-08-2005, 08:49 AM
trim restorer is great, i used it on my 2004 acura tsx and it restores my trims and seals really good. good product steve!!

SmoothAsGlass
06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and I will contact Norah. I saw the restore guide link below, but I am simply looking to maintain the good look it already has.

Honda`s have some interesting plastics...for a CRV ...and you should pm Norah about this..I would actually use Spray & Gloss for maintenence and after washing then buff with a cotton towel...for some reason Honda plastics are not always receptive to dressings:dunno

mtwedt
06-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I also have a CR-V with non-stop black trim. I use TR on every bit of exterior trim applied with a 1" foam brush and left to dwell for 10 minutes. Buff with good MF. It cleans and restores even color. It can spot in rain and has a fairly short durability but brings up the trim beautifully. A few days later, I follow with VM applied with a PC and a 4" pad. Buff again with good MF. The VM ahs maintained the look created by the TR for 8 weeks now, including Oregon rain and I am still happy with the appearance. It seems like the TR will get the trim appearance where you want it and the VM will keep it there. I just kind of fell into that combo serendipitously while tweaking up the V`s trim for the umpteenth time. I don`t know if it is essential to wait a couple days between TR and VM. That just happened to be the way I stumbled onto my little trim management combo. It has helod up so well that I haven`t needed to redo it yet, but next time I will try TR followed by VM without a time interval and post it.

NYV6Coupe
06-09-2005, 12:26 PM
I`d PM keeotee, he used some great product on his truck trim just before the carport roof fell on it.

JaredPointer
06-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I`d PM keeotee, he used some great product on his truck trim just before the carport roof fell on it.

Tru dat. I believe it was GR-40 or something like that.

SmoothAsGlass
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and I did follow up with him; it is Trim-A-Shield from TOL. Sounds like what I am looking for as I don`t need a cleaner or anything to that degree.

djsway
06-13-2005, 02:30 PM
what about peanut butter?

JaredPointer
06-13-2005, 03:39 PM

It works, but it can be a little messy. :)

montster2000
06-14-2005, 04:32 PM
huh!?! :wha I dont understand

JaredPointer
06-15-2005, 07:34 AM
huh!?! :wha I dont understand
You can use peanut butter on the trim to remove old wax residue.