PDA

View Full Version : Paint color coming off on pads

Black_Sunshine
07-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey guys, I finally got to test out my new UDM this weekend and am full of confusion. I`m teaching myself on an old busted accord with basically destroyed paint. It`s completely full of oxidation. I cleaned and clayed the hood then taped off half. Started with OC on a white pad... I know I should use a heavier pad but I have three white pads to destroy and only one orange (Lake country CCS 6.5"). Anyway the green paint came off on the pad so I guess it`s a non-clearcoat, one-step paint job.

So does the remaining paint destroy the pad? I scrubbed the things like crazy after but 90% of the color stayed on the pad. Should I keep using them on clearcoat finishes, or will the green paint scratch or transfer to other surfaces from the pad?

Okay so I did OC white ccs pad on speed 3 then wiped off, then I used OP white separate ccs pad on speed 4 and this is where I ran into trouble. I couldn`t seem to get the polish to break down. I swear I polished a 2x2` section for 30 minutes and the polish looked exactly the same. I gave up and wiped it off with MF. The oxidation was gone but there was very little gloss to the surface. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

:wall

Accumulator
07-24-2007, 06:07 PM
No idea why it`s not doing the correction (ss is usually sorta soft, but I guess this shows that you can`t generalize too much).

I`ve never had any problems from ss paintstains on my pads. I`ve even used black-stained pads on white paint without problems but a) I`d really cleaned them well, regardless of the remaining stains, and b) it still might not`ve been a great idea :o

Eliot Ness
07-24-2007, 07:01 PM
........I finally got to test out my new UDM this weekend and am full of confusion. ........

Okay so I did OC white ccs pad on speed 3 then wiped off, then I used OP white separate ccs pad on speed 4 and this is where I ran into trouble. .........I`m not sure how the speeds on the UDM translate to the speeds on a PC , but on a PC I almost always use speed 6 to polish (correct). If the polish doesn`t seem to be breaking down I`d bump up the speed.

If the OC didn`t break down either then it could have left some marring that the OP couldn`t take out.

Another possibility is the Accord has clear coat failure and you`re basically trying to polish the base coat in several places. That would explain the color transfer on your pads and the lack of gloss.

Black_Sunshine
07-24-2007, 07:19 PM
I`m not sure how the speeds on the UDM translate to the speeds on a PC , but on a PC I almost always use speed 6 to polish (correct). If the polish doesn`t seem to be breaking down I`d bump up the speed.

If the OC didn`t break down either then it could have left some marring that the OP couldn`t take out.

Another possibility is the Accord has clear coat failure and you`re basically trying to polish the base coat in several places. That would explain the color transfer on your pads and the lack of gloss.

I think you may have something on both of those suggestions. Though I am now 90% sure that car was repainted by a budget shop that would have probably used an acrylic single step paint. I read somewhere that the UDM will be faster than the PC at equal speed setting. That`s why I used lower speeds, but maybe it was still too slow.

I have tomorrow morning off work so I`m going to go back and try again from scratch using higher speeds. I`ll report back here on my results and I would take pictures but I need ten posts first.

Thanks for the help by the way!

Edit: Pic Attempt:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/black_sunshine_photos/BustedAccordBefore.jpg

Lol it worked, check out that sexy beast, I taped my test section so that I don`t hit the rust/bubbles, etc. This is the before anything pic, after pics tomorrow.

new2mud
08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Wow--now that`s what I call a practice car! I wouldn`t worry about the pads turning colored, I`d worry about that paint ripping the pads apart!

I have had good luck with SS paint-stained pads getting clean by soaking in dishwasher detergent. Then for the final rinse, I shoot a mist of Simple Green, then rinse out, and the paint comes almost completely out.

Sir Waxalot
08-06-2007, 04:15 PM
I know its not recommended, but a little dish soap will get most of the pad clean, just be sure to rinsh and wring out all the soap. I also follow up with my wet/dry vac to remove any remaining water and surface contaminants left in the pads.