PDA

View Full Version : Clay Advice

Ern
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I currently use clay magic as my clay. It costs 14.99 here at my local stores and i think its expensive. Does anyone sell 2 or 3 good clay bars in a pack for arond this price or $20.00?

Jngrbrdman
07-24-2007, 04:39 PM
No. Locally all you are going to find is Mother`s, Meguiar`s, and Clay Magic. They all sell the same size bar for roughly the same price. At the AutoZone near me it is about $10 bucks for the clay bar and lube, so $15 seems a little steep. I`d shop around a little if I were you. Clay isn`t really that expensive when you consider how many cars you get out of a bar. I can usually get five or six cars out of the consumer bar off the shelf. Twice that when I buy the big bars online. I`d pay $15 if the price went up, but don`t tell Clay Magic that. Shhhhhhh! ;)

imported_Jakerooni
07-24-2007, 04:42 PM
damn I wish. I`ve been paying about $25 and up for my clay. I tried the megs clay for half the cost and it`s easily twice as effective. So for now I`m sticking with Meg`s. But FWIW.... it if works and works good does the cost really matter? I much rather pay a little more for something that works the way i need it than save a buck and be stuck with something that is crap (my own personal case in point. except I spent more than I obviously needed, Point being make sure whatever it is that it works good then worry about cost)

Jngrbrdman
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Clay Magic certianly isn`t crap. Actually, most posts here and other places would hail Clay Magic as one of the better clays. Meguiar`s clay is the one with the poor reputation. Mother`s and Clay Magic seem to be the OTC favorites for the most part. However, if you want to try some really nifty clay then you should try Pinnacle`s Poly Clay. That stuff is amazing and very different from the normal stuff out there.

Ern
07-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Oh ya dont get me wrong I love clay magic! Werent they the originals? I just thought maybe online I could buy a couple of bars or a 3 pack and just use my Meguiars #34 as my spray.

ConglomrationAL
07-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I always order Sonus. They might not be OTC, but for the price I don`t think they can be beat. They`re top shelf clay too.

AL-53
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Clay Magic certianly isn`t crap. Actually, most posts here and other places would hail Clay Magic as one of the better clays. Meguiar`s clay is the one with the poor reputation. Mother`s and Clay Magic seem to be the OTC favorites for the most part. However, if you want to try some really nifty clay then you should try Pinnacle`s Poly Clay. That stuff is amazing and very different from the normal stuff out there.

I agree with Jngrbrdman..Clay magic is a very good clay....closest clay to the old good yellow clay..I have a good supply of the Erazar clay and also the clay magic...and they are very close...

the Meg`s clay is just bad..it smeared..crumbled....was worthless....

AL

imported_bigfoot
07-25-2007, 10:06 AM
There`s the eBay clays: 5 for around $50.00 shipped. Still don`t remember seeing a review of it.

kkreit01
07-25-2007, 02:18 PM
^ But that really isn`t deal unless the bars are larger than Clay Magic...

wolverine1967
07-25-2007, 02:30 PM
what are the thoughts about Griots clay.

anyone try that?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-25-2007, 02:31 PM
I bought these a few days ago, should be arriving soon

eBay Motors: Auto Detailing - (5) 200 Gram Medium Grade Clay Bars (item 230120113908 end time Aug-18-07 12:56:55 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230120113908&rd=1,1)

5-200gram bars for $43.. advertised as the same mfg as clay magic..

imported_raddogz
07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
what are the thoughts about Griots clay.

anyone try that?

I am using their clay right now along with their detail spray as the lubricant.

I used the NXT detail spray with the clay when I ran out of the Griot`s detail spray at it was okay, but didn`t seem to do a great job.

Overall I like the Griot`s stuff, but I haven`t tried other brands so I can`t really comment on them.

imported_bigfoot
07-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Around 2lbs worth of clay :dance

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-25-2007, 03:22 PM

Do the math it`s a great deal...