PDA

View Full Version : what happens when the lsp runs out?

jedovaty
07-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Okay, so you wash, clay, paint clean, polish, sealant/glaze, wax, etc etc.

Then wash once a week or so, follow up maybe with a qd, then what happens when the wax is out, a month to 6 months later? Reapply the lsp, start from scratch?

Question came up in reading about the various types that people here say do not last long, e.g. the carnubas, souveran, s100, etc.

ZoranC
07-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Why wait till it is gone? Just reapply it regularly before it is gone.

stiffdogg06
07-24-2007, 02:42 AM
Agree with the above. But if it does get down to bare paint. I usually wash, IPA wash down and then put a fresh coat of LSP on.

or if I really got the time, I will do a paint cleanser(prime)

tod071
07-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Agree 100%. Just keep re-applying and not let it run out. In between waxes, you can use a gloss enhancer like Zaino Z8 or DG AquaWax.

Macruz19
07-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I apply a fresh new LSP coat monthly. If you have some swirls then you might have to start from scratch after a month or so if you want to regain the "flawless" look! Other than that just apply either a fresh LSP coat, or use a QD to maintain that gloss :)

jedovaty
07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Okay, cool.

So let`s say you seal/glaze and wax car with a cheaper, durable product for the daily driver, and then for special occasion you wish to put something more exotic on the car. Would the proper procedure involve:

wash -> paint cleaner / wax striper / dawn / IPA -> exotic material

?

BigAl3
07-24-2007, 12:40 PM
i`ll use a cleaner wax (helps clean up the paint so i don`t need to re-polish) and top it with an lsp...

tod071
07-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Okay, cool.

So let`s say you seal/glaze and wax car with a cheaper, durable product for the daily driver, and then for special occasion you wish to put something more exotic on the car. Would the proper procedure involve:

?

Just wash and apply the "exotic" wax. No such thing as a "durable" wax. Wax is simply used as a beauty agent. If you are looking for durability and shine, use a good sealant. Zaino, Klasse, or Chemical Guys are some that come to mind. JetSeal109 is the best of all, IMO. If you need the added gloss & depth, then top with a nice nuba.

Once you use Dawn (not recommended anyway), you will strip everything you`ve done up to that point.

jedovaty
07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Al`s advice appears to make sense. Tod, I think you misunderstood my question. Let`s say you have something overly durable like collinite (I`ve read 6-8 months), and you want to "dress to impress" one weekend, so to redo with something like RMG and souveran. Seems like a cleaner wax or something like that would take off the collinite and then you can reapply the other stuff. Hopefully this makes sense.. or.. is there no need to do that? The idea here is not to use the expensive, high-maintenance stuff all the time and just use it for special occasion.

Accumulator
07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
jedovaty- I too try to keep one step ahead of complete LSP failure. In the absence of any marring that needs corrected, I just clean things up with Sonus green Ultra-Fine clay and reapply my LSP. I`ve switched around between different waxes on my wife`s A8 and it`s never been a problem.

So I`d just apply whatever you want to try. But don`t apply it aggressively; some people have disturbed whatever was already on the vehicle and had streaking/etc. issues (IIRC one example of this was when trying to do a very thin application of Collinite 476S and another was when applying Souveran over top of Collinite). IMO the safest way to do this, and avoid issues with the existing LSP, would be to do a spit-shine type of application.

Sooner or later it`s a good idea to clean everything off the paint and affect a fresh start, but I can clay/reapply for well over a year.

No such thing as a "durable" wax...

Well, Collinite 476S might qualify. I applied the last coat in mid September and the Blazer was still slick and beading when I refreshed it at the end of May. That`s roughly 8 months of daily dog-hauler/beater duty, including an Ohio winter.

The #16 on my wife`s daily driver is only good for a few months before it needs refreshed though.

ZoranC
07-24-2007, 01:20 PM

If you want to make daily driver have very durable protection and still look very good check out Collinite waxes. Search of this board will show you results. And then for special ocassions you don`t have to go through all that long procedure, just top it off with something that personally makes you drool, and that can be even something as simple as good QD/booster.

tod071
07-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry, forgot about Collinite. I actually have some 845 :chuckle: I was thinking more along the Souveran, Zymol, and more boutique nubas that give the extreme wet deep look, but not the durability. Collinite does actually last long and looks pretty good. If you want to top that with a boutique wax, just wash and apply. Accumulator has a good suggestion with the Sonus fine clay. I`ve never used it but have heard about it.

BlueLibby04
07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I can usually tell when the wax/sealant is getting near the end of its life by the look of the paint, the feel, and how it reacts when you spray it with water and or when it rains. I try to put a coat of NXT on my Jeep at least every 3months. :)