PDA

View Full Version : New to proper detailing!

tonster0728
07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I already have a few questions as this is my first post but I have been browsing for quite a while.

I am looking for the best products to applied by hand (polishes, waxes, sealants), interior, wheels, etc. pretty much a good basic starting list. I do not have a machine and will probably not have one till next summer.

The two vehicles I "detail" the most are my 1997 Eclipse and my mom`s 2006 Honda Si. The Si has a lot of swirls and scratches already. This might be because I was using a synthetic lambs wool mitt on that soft Honda clear. I have already purchased a ton of microfiber towels and some waffle weaves, also various brushes. I plan on buying two 5 gallon buckets and two grit guards to help my wash methods.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MatrixXRS
07-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Much of what would be considered "best products" is really personal preference. While working by hand definitely narrows the detailing product spectrum, there is still a huge amount of product that can get you excellent results.

A determining factor in what products you may choose would depend on the amount of time you`re willing to spend on each vehicle. Working by hand is labor intensive compared to using a machine, so the number of steps you choose to have in your process may be more limited by the amount of "elbow grease" you want to use. Longevity should also play a role in your product evaluation as well.

If I had to make a quick recommendation, and by no means is this a complete list of products that would be worth considering, I`d suggest Duragloss AquaWax as your last step product, Sonus Paintwork Cleanser for light swirl and oxidation removal, and Meg`s ScratchX for anything needing heavier correction. And, of course, don`t forget to clay each vehicle after a thorough wash to remove any of the paint contaminants.

Good luck!

tonster0728
07-23-2007, 10:57 PM
I already own Meg`s ScratchX so I`m good there. As far as elbow grease, I will really work for results. I normally do a wash, clay, otc polish, otc wax x2 and if I were to apply another step or two in there somewhere it would not bother me at all. I like to work for my results I guess!

MatrixXRS
07-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Given your current routine, are you limited to OTC products? Or are you willing to look at more boutique-type products? The OTC choices are pretty limited, but there may be some other products worth considering if OTC is less important to you. With your current routine, you might consider adding some type of All-In-One like Klasse or Jeff Werkstatt`s Prime. Glazes like Clearkote`s Red Moose Glaze might also be worth adding to the routine prior to the LSP. However, it`s difficult to say whether adding these additional steps would result in significant differences from your current routine, so the additional effort may not be justified. Sometimes it just takes a little trial and error to find that perfect combination.

tonster0728
07-24-2007, 07:03 PM
I am not limited to OTC by any means. I would love to pick up some quality stuff from the internet. The nearest places to me that I buy my current stuff from are Autozone, Napa, and Target! I would have no problem ordering stuff off of the internet as I do it many times with my car parts.

Accumulator
07-25-2007, 11:49 AM
tonster0728- Since you`re working by hand, I`d strongly encourage you to check out 1Z brand polishes (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html)"]Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html)[/URL] ). These are the only products of their type I`d even think about using by hand and I`m confident that you`d be happy with them.

If you top those polishes with Collinite brand wax (same sources) you`ll be all set for a long, long time.

The 1Z/Collinite combo is one of the few specific-product recommendations that I firmly believe in, especially for people who are working by hand. Usually, it`s all about the process and the products are just personal preference, but IMO/IME this is an exception.

tonster0728
07-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Thank you for your recommendations Accumulator. As far as cleaning wheels should I just use Meg`s APC or some other type of product?

Accumulator
07-26-2007, 02:06 PM
.. As far as cleaning wheels should I just use Meg`s APC or some other type of product?

There are different approaches that have their pros/cons.

If using an APC, I`d dilute it. I don`t anticipate problems with the Meg`s APC but no need for something stronger than you need.

Dedicated wheel cleaners are generally formulated to be both safe and effective, and I`d probably steer you towards one of those.

I myself usually treat my wheels like the rest of the car (waxes, etc.) and then clean them with a slightly stronger-than-normal wash shampoo mix (in a spray bottle).

tonster0728
07-26-2007, 03:59 PM
what I normally do now is use an old wash mitt with a bucket of water mixed with a teaspoon of dish washing soap, clay the wheels, and then apply a wax. I have heard the dish washing soap can be harsh as you might not get all of the solvent off the wheels when rinsing?

Accumulator
07-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I really do think you oughta switch to a regular wheel cleaner.

I`m not one of those with a huge issue about using dishwashing soap now and then for certain things, but in this case I`d stop doing it.

After you get them waxed, they should clean up fairly easily for the next few washes, maybe you could just use carwash shampoo.