PDA

View Full Version : Process for making my Ram look its best

hydro556
07-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Guys, I am sort of a newb and want to make my Ram look its best. It only has 20K so paint is good. I am going to list what I have and you guys tell me what the best process would be get THE look.

I currently have XMT360(on the way), clay bar/lube, and a car wash. I am not opposed to buying Pinnacle Soveran if it would far exceed the 360. I have a Makita 6040 and an orange, white, black and wool pad from LC. Tell me the best way to go. Hand polish or machine and which pads. Thanks and heres the before pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/HPIM0454.jpg

hydro556
07-22-2007, 12:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/HPIM0460.jpg

Another shot

hydro556
07-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Anybody have any tips?

MatrixXRS
07-22-2007, 08:27 PM
THE look can be so subjective. A key thing to remember is that much of the look that you achieve is a direct result of the prep that went into the vehicle. If your paint condition is relatively defect free, then you may be fine just using a paint cleanser (Klasse All-In-One, Werkstatt Prime) and a good 100% carnauba (P21s, Souveran, Natty`s Blue, etc.). As an in between step, you might consider adding a glaze (Clearkote Red Moose Glaze comes to mind) and that might help add some depth and wetness to the finish.

I tested a number of products before I found the combination that got me the look I was looking for. I spent a lot of time in the Click&Brag section looking at what combinations yielded similar results to what I was looking for. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it holds true for detailing products as well.

Good luck!

hydro556
07-23-2007, 02:56 PM
THE look can be so subjective. A key thing to remember is that much of the look that you achieve is a direct result of the prep that went into the vehicle. If your paint condition is relatively defect free, then you may be fine just using a paint cleanser (Klasse All-In-One, Werkstatt Prime) and a good 100% carnauba (P21s, Souveran, Natty`s Blue, etc.). As an in between step, you might consider adding a glaze (Clearkote Red Moose Glaze comes to mind) and that might help add some depth and wetness to the finish.

I tested a number of products before I found the combination that got me the look I was looking for. I spent a lot of time in the Click&Brag section looking at what combinations yielded similar results to what I was looking for. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it holds true for detailing products as well.

Good luck!

Thanks. How does this sound? Wash, clay, QD, then apply XMT360 with a white finishing pad and my Makita 6040 set to random orbital mode. Then apply an LSP if the look from just the 360 isnt satisfactory.

jmarm3
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
How is the makita 6040 anyways?

hydro556
07-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Seems excellent to me, but it is my first rotary capable machine. Seems very powerful, vines arent too bad. I like the versatility of two machines in one.

MatrixXRS
07-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks. How does this sound? Wash, clay, QD, then apply XMT360 with a white finishing pad and my Makita 6040 set to random orbital mode. Then apply an LSP if the look from just the 360 isnt satisfactory.

After washing and rinsing, you could just go right back over the car with a fresh bucket of car wash soap and water as the lubricant for the clay. I find that it removes the need to QD after claying and after a quick rinse, you`re ready for the polishing stage. Using clay lube works just as well, it`s just a personal preference.

As for the XMT 360, I think you have the right combo there. If you`re not getting the visual results you want, you could do a half and half on the hood and see if the LSP adds anything to the finish. If it doesn`t, then you just saved yourself a lot of work.

Hope that helps...