PDA

View Full Version : Removing glue from leather seat

70RagTop
07-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Well, the temperature hit 105 today and my EZPass unit fell from the windshield directly on to my black leather passenger seat. The glue is from the back of some velcro strips which were guaranteed to hold under any condition. I got as much glue from the seat that I could, but there still is residue left. How can I remove the glue without ruining the leather? Please help!

BlackElantraGT
07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
You might want to do a test spot first in a hidden area of your leather, but for removing glue I`ve had good luck with a product called Goo Gone that you can pick up from Walmart. I`ve never used it on leather, but I can`t imagine it being aggressive enough to ruin it, especially if you only a little product and wipe off the glue residue right away. Then once you`re done, clean up any leftover residue using a mild soap/water solution and condition your leather with the product of your choice.

mahana1012
07-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I had the same problem today. The EZ pass fell onto my M3 leather seat and left a rather large glue stain. I tried ice but that didn`t work. I then tried a high quality glass cleaner and a hair dryer. The hair dryer softened the adhesive and the glass cleaner softened the glue enough to remove it. I had to repeat the procedure about 4 times and I was able to get all of the stain off. I then used leather cleaner to finish the job. I am very relieved. Good luck.

Mahana1012

jayjacque
07-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow, I also had this happen to me today too!

Just kidding - couldn`t resist

Statman
07-11-2008, 06:02 PM
A long time ago I worked in a shoe repair shop and we used the crepe sole material to remove glue from leather shoes. Not sure if that stuff is around anymore, but it worked great.

Quality Leather
07-13-2008, 11:26 AM
A hair dryer is good, as it won`t burn the leather. Heat the residue and wipe with a wet cloth. If that doesn`t work, then try a 3M delicate duty scuff pad and cleaner. If that doesn`t work, then try a 50/50 dilution of alcohol and water. This may bring off some of the coating, so be careful.