PDA

View Full Version : slicker lsp

mikemess
07-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I have been using AJT for some time now and tho I like the look it just doesn`t seem to be that "slick" for very long. Looking for suggestions. I know old school will say UPP, but what about newer stuff? Opti-Seal, CG?

Just02
07-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I wish I could help you out, but I`m in the same boat. AJT is a great product as far as looks and durability, but the slickness disappears in a couple of days (at least when it rains). The only way to refresh the slickness is to reseal (even after a wash using their soap).

How is Zaino`s line as far as slickness and the longevity of that slickness, anyone?

:work:

Imatk
07-20-2007, 10:07 PM
This is exactly why I went back to Zaino. I went through a few months of trying everything from Pinnacle Souveran to Natty`s, AJT and so on. I eventually came back to Zaino just because it`s very slick and lasts a long time.

I prefer AJT look-wise a little more, but it didn`t bead like Zaino and wasn`t as slick so I went back.

Joshua312
07-20-2007, 10:13 PM
I just received the Ultima Paint Guard a couple days ago and the slickness is through the roof. Will be doing another detail using it tomorrow, keep your eye open for the click and brag tomorrow night.

Just02
07-20-2007, 10:41 PM
This is exactly why I went back to Zaino. I went through a few months of trying everything from Pinnacle Souveran to Natty`s, AJT and so on. I eventually came back to Zaino just because it`s very slick and lasts a long time.

I prefer AJT look-wise a little more, but it didn`t bead like Zaino and wasn`t as slick so I went back.

I wonder if you could put a few coats of AJT on, and then throw 2 coats of Z-CS on it? hmm!

AngieD
07-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I`ve always thought the AJT left the paint feeling really slick.

2KLS1
07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
For slickness I think you have to stick with a sealant. Carnaubas aren`t generally as slick right? The only sealant I`ve used is Prima Epic so I don`t know how the slickness compares with AJT but it did stay slick for more than a couple of months for me. However I did use Prima`s spray wax booster about every three washes or so, that probably helped. But I can say that I didn`t really notice any real decrease in slickness until about three months.

Just02
07-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I`ve always thought the AJT left the paint feeling really slick.

It certainly does. I love the feeling after the car is freshly clayed, polished and sealed. It feels smoother then a china plate. However, once you wash the car after it rains... the paint isn`t "slick" anymore (at least every time I`ve done it). It`s not bad, but it`s not slick. :sadpace:

jmillican
07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
You can`t beat Zaino and it is durable as hell. I know there are many who don`t like Zaino (or is it the Zainiacs?), but even those who hate Zaino agree that it is extremely durable.

Scottwax
07-21-2007, 11:30 PM
AJ`s slickness may fall off a bit but it beads and retains its look for several months. Back to back on my brother`s van, Prime and a single layer of AJ lasted every bit as long as AIO/3 layers of ZFX`ed Z2 Pro...around 8 months for each combo. Obviously, since they were applied about a year apart, I can`t say one was slicker than the other but both combos are very durable. :)

If it is pure slickness you are after, UPP and Wolfgang are hard to beat. Zaino and Opti-Seal are right up there too.

Personally, I`d go with what holds its appearance the longest and beading characteristics change the slowest. Slickness is nice but as long as your towels aren`t grabbing at the paint, I think you are all right.

ConglomrationAL
07-22-2007, 07:08 AM
For slickness I think you have to stick with a sealant. Carnaubas aren`t generally as slick right? The only sealant I`ve used is Prima Epic so I don`t know how the slickness compares with AJT but it did stay slick for more than a couple of months for me. However I did use Prima`s spray wax booster about every three washes or so, that probably helped. But I can say that I didn`t really notice any real decrease in slickness until about three months.

I dunno about sealants being more slick than carnaubas. My P21S feels alot more slick (Even right after applying) than does my KSG or AJT. I usually do poli-seal then 2 layers of P21S (about a day apart between apps.) and I think it`s much slicker than when I do a layer of poli-seal and then a layer of KSG or AJT (which is what i`ve done in the past). Plus carnauba pastes are much easier to deal with IMO.

~Albert

RallyMSP
07-22-2007, 07:12 AM
I`ve got 2 layers of petes `53 and the slickness is still great. I`ve had it on for about a week now. Still slide off the car when i lean on it =)

spotter
07-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I don`t find washing to diminish the slickness of AJT x 3 on my car......but I only use ONR to wash and it always renews the slickness of my paint.