PDA

View Full Version : Removing paint splatter on textured hard plastic..

Marc Hufnagel
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Working with a Dodge Dakota with slate gray interior. There are about 10 little splats of bright yellow paint (about the size of a sesame seed) around the drivers` seat on the hard textured plastic of the inside of the door, door sill and extended cab door plastic.

I`ve tried picking at it a bit with a fingernail, but the problem is that some of it is in the recessed textured part..

So to the more-wise citizens of the board I present my problem and will appreciate any advice..

thanks

imported_GregCavi
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I have gone through the same thing, except for in my wheel wells. Using some lacquer thinner worked for me. It took quite a bit of rubbing, but worked like a charm. Assuming the plastic isn`t painted, it should be safe and work well.

Greg

salty
07-19-2007, 02:47 AM
I would not personally use LT on interior plastic, at least not full strength. I used water diluted Acetone once-50/50, a component of LT, to remove pen ink from a console. It worked but removed some of the console color. Hindsight i would have left it alone.

I would try to carefully pick the spots with a sharp tool. Maybe start with toothpick then move on to metal.

Marc Hufnagel
07-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I would not personally use LT on interior plastic, at least not full strength. I used water diluted Acetone once-50/50, a component of LT, to remove pen ink from a console. It worked but removed some of the console color. Hindsight i would have left it alone.

I would try to carefully pick the spots with a sharp tool. Maybe start with toothpick then move on to metal.

Just on a thought, I tried a MF with a little goo-gone, seemed to get it off. Wiped it off as soon as it was clean and used some AA natural detailer on it to further remove any googone residue.

Seems ok :)