PDA

View Full Version : Water run off laws????

Reflctn Perfctn
06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
For all the mobil detailers out there, what laws do you guys need to follow to keep every one happy?????I am starting a mobil detailing business in ny and was wondering what i need to do to keep every one happy?

Secret Chimp
06-07-2005, 12:45 AM
The Clean Water Act is a federal act. The enforcement of laws contained in the act are left to local authorities. So the law is the same everywhere in the US....it`s just whether your local authority actively enforces the laws or not.

I live and work in a few beach communities. Since all drains lead directly to the ocean, the local govt is very serious about enforcing water code laws. I have seen the local water code authorities fining detailers in parking lots. I have seen the police kick detailers off private property because they do not collect their used water.

When formulating my business plan, I spent some time talking with the local water code enforcement to find out exactly what I could and could not do. It turns out that you can spray all the water you want as long as it doesn`t hit the storm drains. And if it does hit the storm drains, make sure the drain is on private property and not on a public street. Their enforcement has sharper teeth when the infraction occurs on public property.

I just get around the issue by operating a waterless detailing service.