PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Detailing Towels?

wkasak
07-17-2007, 07:24 AM
So at this point I have many detailing towels...Microfiber, 100% Cotton, and general towels. My question is how do you guys organize your towels? Do you use colors for the type of process...like white for removing polish...blue for detailing spray...etc. I thought about this yesterday after wiping down my wheels that had some brake dust on them and thought even after washing the towel I don`t think it would be a good idea to use this on the paint in the future.

Pats300zx
07-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I seperate mine in bins depending on what they are used for.

Waffle weave/drying towels

Quick Detailing

Wax and Polish Removal

Glass

Cheap (wheels/interiors/engines/etc)

I also found that by rolling the towels that I get much more room in the storate bins then by laying them flat.

wkasak
07-17-2007, 08:29 AM
What about washing/cleaning your towels? Do you take the extra time to wash them separately to avoid cross contamination or just wash them all together? I am leary of washing towels used on wheels with towels used for polishing/drying, but I don`t want to spend a lot of time just cleaning towels either...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-17-2007, 08:46 AM
What about washing/cleaning your towels? Do you take the extra time to wash them separately to avoid cross contamination or just wash them all together? I am leary of washing towels used on wheels with towels used for polishing/drying, but I don`t want to spend a lot of time just cleaning towels either...

I am not as seasoned as most on this board but I try to use sound logic when making these decisions.

Considering we here go through great efforts to protect our paints even going to the extent of dedicated towels by application I always separate my towles. Paint towles in one load, Glass/interior towels in another, door sill jams in another, paint in another, wheels / wells in another

I actually even go wash them in that order to even further reduce cross contamination (paint, glass, jams, wheels). I am a firm believer that every step counts.

wkasak
07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
I am not as seasoned as most on this board but I try to use sound logic when making these decisions.

Considering we here go through great efforts to protect our paints even going to the extent of dedicated towels by application I always separate my towles. Paint towles in one load, Glass/interior towels in another, door sill jams in another, paint in another, wheels / wells in another

I actually even go wash them in that order to even further reduce cross contamination (paint, glass, jams, wheels). I am a firm believer that every step counts.

Wow...that`s attention to detail. I think I will clean in three separate loads. Paint, Glass/Interior, and Door Jams, Wheels/Wells. I need to get a cheap little washer/dryer combo in my garage...

mikebai1990
07-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Yea, I usually separate my dirty/grunge towels away from my good towels. I don`t necessarily use color codes, but I just put them in different boxes. I generally place my door jamb towels together with my drying and detailing (waxing) towels, and I put my grunge/wheel/wheelwell towels somewhere else.

When I wash, I always hand wash. I just wash my good towels first, and progress down to the dirtier towels.

edit: I like the tip about rolling up the towels, Pat. I`ll try it next time :)

CHAOS
07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
i cant wait until i have a good place to store all my stuff... i need some bins... i never even thought of that

wkasak
07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Yea, I usually separate my dirty/grunge towels away from my good towels. I don`t necessarily use color codes, but I just put them in different boxes. I generally place my door jamb towels together with my drying and detailing (waxing) towels, and I put my grunge/wheel/wheelwell towels somewhere else.

When I wash, I always hand wash. I just wash my good towels first, and progress down to the dirtier towels.

What type of soap/detergent do you use when you hand wash?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Wow...that`s attention to detail. I think I will clean in three separate loads. Paint, Glass/Interior, and Door Jams, Wheels/Wells. I need to get a cheap little washer/dryer combo in my garage...

yeah, some may call it obsessive but with all the efforts taken to avoid swirls during the actual vehicle detail, I`d really hate to negate that effort with sub par cleaning system.

To clean my towels I use a fragrance free, phosphate free, chlorine free, dye free powder dishwashing detergent. I purchase this from Trader Joe`s

Accumulator
07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
i cant wait until i have a good place to store all my stuff... i need some bins...

I use plastic trash cans- Different ones for good cotton; so-so-cotton; crappy-duty cotton; MFs for drying; MFs for polishing; MFs for Glass.

I need to get a cheap little washer/dryer combo in my garage... Yeah, you`d find that very handy; I couldn`t get by without the garage washer/dryer. I wouldn`t go *too* cheap on the washer though, as the car textiles might require more effective washing than your regular laundry. The dryer is a good place to economize as you can pretty much get by with just medium (MF) and hot (cotton) temps and a timed cycle (no need for moisture sensors or fancy "permanent press" type cycles). Be sure to vent the dyer outside or you`ll have cotton lint everywhere ;)

BlueLibby04
07-17-2007, 12:06 PM
I will wait until I get a good amount of towels before I wash them. I will wash with like towels and depending on the towels use. I will never wash towels that I use on the interior with towels what I use on the paint. I do not use towels on the door jams. I wash those when I wash the rest of the vehicle. Those are done last.

-The towels that I use on the underbody and engine are washed together.

-Interior towels are washed together.

-And last, the towels I use on the paint and such.

Like I said, I wait till I have a decent amount of towels before I wash. Or Ill wash them if Im out of one certain towel.

mikebai1990
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
What type of soap/detergent do you use when you hand wash?

I use Woolite, sometimes mixed with some Simple Green. I try not to use too much Woolite, just enough to properly clean the towels. I find if I use too much, it take many rinses to get the soap completely out of the towels.

imported_DetailDan
07-17-2007, 12:41 PM
I dont like Woolite to wash my MF. I feel that Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenatory leave them feeling better after, but doesnt do a good job cleaning. So Im trying some new stuff. But heres how everything is organized. Guzzlers are washed separately from everything. Then I separate interior and exterior.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1301/5913/179344.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1301/5913/179345.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1301/5913/179346.jpg