PDA

View Full Version : effective way for shaping foam?

elitemobile
07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I have some edge pads that i want to add some a contour to. I have a seen a tool that looks like a cheese grater and was wondering if anyone has an experience with it or any other method that was successful.

Thanks!

Old Pirate
07-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I would think twice before doing that because you might screw up the pads when you use them on you machine and maybe the finish of the vehicle that you be working on.....just my .02 cents.

93AccordLXwhite
07-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I`d be afraid of leaving rough edges on the new surface of the pad. It doesn`t sound like something I`d want to do personally, but again, everyone`s different. To me it seems like a hot knife or some other cutting tool would leave a `smoother` surface, but it could also burn the pad. This is just a thought, and I am not responsible for any horrible outcomes that occur if you listen to my advice:) If your pads are really old and trashed I guess there`s not much to lose in the way of that, but I`d test them on a junkyard panel before I used them on my car personally. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

imported_DetailDan
07-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea to me. There isnt much room between the edge of the plastic center and the end of the pad.

coupe
07-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I cut my sonus DAS pads down. They look rough but they work great, no problems at all.

I wouldnt do it to the edge2K pads though. I actually dont see the reason to do what you want to do.

David Fermani
07-16-2007, 07:11 PM
If you cut your pads and they aren`t perfectly round, you`re opening yourself up to creating swirls. Probably not a big deal on a PC/Cyclo, but it is on a rotary.

elitemobile
07-17-2007, 08:11 AM
this is only a test to see the outcome and if its a reality. If i can shape it correctly i feel it would make the pad much easier to work. I appreciate your guys concern but i will be testing it on a test panel aka my own beater. Once i find a way to shape the pad up ill post back

THanks!