PDA

View Full Version : A Few Random ZCS and NUBA Questions

Danspeed1
07-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Hello,

I`m back with more questions. A few weeks ago I detailed my 96 Impala SS with the Zaino System and the results were outstanding. I haven`t used a good Nuba wax in a while so I really have nothing to compare the results with, but in any event I am pleased... for the moment.

Today I was down at the local detail shop shooting the breeze with one of the Pro Detailers. (Heres where the random questions come in). I told him I had used Zaino, a Sealer system with excellent results and he began to shake his head. He told me to stay away from sealers, "they are not good for the paint." This is not the first time I heard this, and when I inquired as to why, he told me because they trap gases from curing paint on newer vehicles and damage the clear and base coats. In my particular case, I highly doubt my 96 Imp applies. How true is the above statement? I am thinking about detailing a newer car, 2005, and I want to know which what the deal is?

With that said, I am planing on detailing the next car with a Nuba wax, probably Collonite. But as far as I remember, the finish breaks down quickly and looks like cra*p within a few weeks, (at least it did when I was using the meguiars system). Would it be smart or even possible for that matter to top the car off with ZCS? And being as how the vehicle is a 2005, would the paint be considered "too new" for a sealer? And whats the dry time on an Nuba anyway?

I have seen a few of these questions mentioned in other threads with no specific answers.

On a last note i just want to mention that after about 3 1/2 weeks the impala still looks as good as the day I detailed it.

Dan

AutoCadillac
07-15-2007, 04:33 AM
First, do you have some reason to believe this guy knows more about paint protection than all the chemist and whoever they are that are involved in the manufactur of these products? Have you ever heard of a car manufacturer agreeing to his way of thinking and telling their customers to stay away from these products? Has any government agency warned consumers away from them?

This guy is full of crap about sealants. I have nothing again waxes but I suggest you not worry about sealants. Find something you like and don`t worry about this guy`s parnoid thoughts. BTW, did you like his aluminum foil hat?

imported_memnuts
07-15-2007, 05:14 AM
First, do you have some reason to believe this guy knows more about paint protection than all the chemist and whoever they are that are involved in the manufactur of these products? Have you ever heard of a car manufacturer agreeing to his way of thinking and telling their customers to stay away from these products? Has any government agency warned consumers away from them?

This guy is full of crap about sealants. I have nothing again waxes but I suggest you not worry about sealants. Find something you like and don`t worry about this guy`s parnoid thoughts. BTW, did you like his aluminum foil hat?

:tribe: :tribe: :goodjob

New car: the vehicle may be new but the finish is old enough that any out-gassing is completely. All factory paints are catalyzed and baked. The only exception is a vehicle that you watch being assemblied prior to delivery (Corvette and Porsche delivery at factory delivery program for examples).

Danspeed1
07-15-2007, 08:49 AM
As for laying the ZCS on top of a Nuba, whats the cure time for the wax.... and will it smear or work out alright. I plan on doing this, I just want to make sure I do it right.

DG

Scottwax
07-15-2007, 10:12 AM
If sealants were so bad for paint, dealers wouldn`t offer them at an outrageous price, and give a warranty. That isn`t to say they actually do a good job applying the incredibly overpriced sealants but they fact they do at all and give a 5 year warranty should be a good indication sealants are safe for paint.

Danspeed1
07-15-2007, 11:31 PM
I was on the fence about the Sealant`s being bad for "fresh" paint. The theory makes sense but I just wanted a few people to assure me otherwise.

As for a coat of ZCS over the Nuba,... how long should I wait?

DG