PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on individual prices please!

GregCavi
06-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone! What a buetifal day. Im glad i got 2 details in. Anywho i am trying to put together a pricelist of individual prices on my site. I of course will have the prices subject to change based on vehicle condition on there. I just wanted to see were everyone stands on prices. If you can give me what you charge on these prices that woudl be great. If you could let me know what it woudl be for cars and vans that woudl be good.

Shampoo interior-

Full interior- shampoo, dress trim, condition leather, vaccum.

Full exterior- full bells and wistles package. polish, polish, glaze, wax or sealant.

1 step exterior-

Thats my main ones. If you have any other services to offer that would be awesome! thanks DC for all you amazing help!

Greg

Boss_429
06-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Greg,

Much of what one charges depends on what the "market will bare" in your particular area. Many years ago at my buddies shop, we always developed our prices based on the "average" amount of time it would take to do a particular type of detail. We use to time ourselves on our own vehicles to get an idea.

Will the market in your area will bare $15, $25, or mabye $35 an hour for your labor, expertise, expenses and benefits?

Once you know that and you have an idea how long it will take... you`ll come up with your own rates. It`s not perfect, but you should be close.

Jngrbrdman
06-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I charge based on an hourly rate. I don`t advertise any prices since I don`t know how long each job will take me. If I did advertise prices, then it would go something like "The average price on a mid size sedan is $$$" or something like that. I wouldn`t put anything in small print as that could be deceiving. Its probably best not to advertise a price and just put "Pricing available upon inspection". If you really need to put a price then just work out an hourly rate and then times it by how long you estimate it would take to complete each of your packages. Put your disclaimer at the bottom or under each section to let them know that a thrashed SUV will cost more than a relatively clean one.

Personally I charge $40 an hour for everything. I work in 30 minute incriments for billing purposes. So 2 hours and 45 minutes would round up to $80 bucks. Its funny how the human brain works... for some reason when I charge $80 for 2 hours it is more acceptable than charging $40 an hour for two hours. It equals the same thing, but people find it hard to pay someone $40 bucks an hour for something they know they could do themselves. Give them a price and they are much happier to pay it and will more likely have you come back. That is just my honest experience in the business.

GregCavi
06-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Boss- I usually make about 20-25 an hour. I think I will go with your rule of thumb and get something created. I will link you guys to that page so you can see what needs to be tweaked.

Greg

GregCavi
06-06-2005, 05:07 PM
http://www.pinnacle-detailing.com/individualprices.htm

What do you think? based on about 20-25 an hour pricing.

Greg

pappy
06-06-2005, 05:20 PM
prices look on par for our area....looks good.

maximv1
06-06-2005, 06:49 PM
hey greg, i think your prices are very fair. i try to average $25-30.00/hour also. i think you are charging the right amount. if you find a package is elling really well after a few months you might be able to raise the price abit, maybe $5.00 so customers don`t notice too much of a change

GregCavi
06-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Any other reccomendations as far as service to put on the site?

Greg

jaybs02
06-06-2005, 06:54 PM
I think that Boss gave the best piece of advice by telling you to base you price on what your market can bare.

Either too high or too low, and you will be out of business soon.

Good luck
"J"

shotime
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I don`t like to give quotes with out seeing the vehicle, but I base it on $20/hr wholesale/$35 retail. I`ve been burned many times by the SUV owner saying, "It`s pretty clean". I give him a good price and when I get it the thing is trashed and takes 8-10hrs. Don`t be affraid to ask $200+ for your work. If it`s worth it, they`ll pay. There`s a reason fillet mignon costs more than ground beef. I have a customer that paid $160 to have a BS paint sealant put on his black show car. The shop hacked the car to pieces with a wool pad/rotory. I don`t want to say what I`m charging him,but I said he can pay them $160 to have the same work done again or get it done right.

GregCavi
06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Well in our town I always get how much do you charge. I respond with a well i have a rough estimate pricelist. It depends on the vehicle condition. The average for your car will be 125 and if it seems to need more work then the price will increase. I have never had a problem with quotes. I jsut let them know that what i tell them is a rough estimate and I will be happy to come visit them and give them a real quote.

Greg