PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Restoration Help / Suggestions

roadster
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I have aluminum spoke (5 large spokes) wheels on my Reatta with fine circular machining over the entire surface. All of the wheels have been stripped of the clear coat, and are in excellent condition as far as lack of wheel weight damage , discoloration, and curb rash.

I have previously just polished and treated the wheels with the Klasse Twins, and have been satisfied as the treatment lasted at least 6 months. As I am disabled and the disability is not going to get any better plus the fact that it is very difficult to polish anything especially wheels, leaves me hopeing and wondering for an easier alternative.

Has anyone restored (refinished with clear paint, etc) this type of wheel with any success (lasted for a few years), and if so may I have their suggestions. In the past I have tried a clear lacquer (spray can) without much luck - deteriorated in a few months.

The wheels can not be heavily polished because of the machined lines. I have found that Eastwood has some clear wheel paint (and gray as well), and if anyone has used it I would like to know the outcome. The wheels would require a heavy or thick satin clear for the spokes and a medium satin or low gloss gray for the indents. THanks for the help....

:usa

Nic

roadster
07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Out of curiousity and the desire to do right, is the above post inappropriate in any respect please? I didn`t get in 1 suggestion or response so something must be wrong :confused:

thanks,

Nic

Old Pirate
07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I wished i had the answer for you on clear coating your rims but i don`t have the answer for you, like you said you use the twins and it work for you for about 6 months, just try to do it again if you can and hopefully someone can help you out on this. Good luck

BlueLibby04
07-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I would say that no one has come upon your thread that has any experience in that field yet nic.. Why was the clear taken off the rims anyway?

roadster
07-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Great !!! :) Sincere thanks guys for the replies...feel better now.

There are several reasons for removing the clear coat on the wheels...

*The Reatta was only made from 1988 thru 1991...that leave the wheel at between 16 to18/19 years old.

*In that many years the clear almost naturally yellows or discolors, and for several other reasons (wheel cleaners, rocks and other materials creating outside influence) the clear begins to peel off. Tire replacement is another problem as the wheel weights in most cases are placed on the outside of the wheel instead of the inside....the lead reacts unfavorably with the aluminum causing a nasty looking result. I am pretty picky about my vehicles and keep them as close to showroom as possible. By removing the clear a high percentage of the damages/discoloration is removed as well. Over the years I have found 4 wheels in near new condition (no wheel weight or curb damage/scratches etc) less the clear coat that I am trying to figure out how to re finish or restore.

Thanks again for the replies,

Nic

:)

Ben Kenobi
07-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I wish I had an answer for you Nic, maybe the Eastwood product might be the solution. Have you been any to contact any firms that refinish wheels to see what they may offer?

Do post some photos of your Reatta`s as I did love them when they were produced. They looked very futuristic and a clean looking design. Do you think they were ahead of their time and people just didn`t know what to make of them?

roadster
07-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Ben, I will attempt some pics......never done before. Incidently, both cars were "klassed" well over a year ago :) , Nic

Sorry, I tried to upload several pics and they would not take.

The Reatta crowd is on the Antique Automobile Club of America Website Collectable Car Forums, and can be viewed both through the Reatta Club and the AACA Forums by going to www.reatta.com Coming Soon! (http://www.reatta.com) and clicking discussion.....there are pictures on both venues. Thanks for the interest,

Nic

imported_Jakerooni
07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Conatact a bump and paint shop. This is their expertise not exactly what we (generally speaking) do on here. If you can get them cleaned up like you want a professional painter should be able to respray a quality clearcoat on them that will last for quite sometime. I think the yellowpages are going to be your best freind on this situation

roadster
07-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Just tried to add a picture for an AVATAR and same thing...took for ever on the upload and then nothing .... I think the files are probably to big :(